The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Journal of Hebrew Scriptures
Quick question:  I hope I’m not violating any forum rules, but wanted to know what the consensus of this forum thought about the online Journal of Hebrew Scriptures (if allowed, here’s the link:  http://www.jhsonline.org/)?  

It seems to have an absolute wealth of data relative to the TaNaKh.  I won’t make a habit of posting links inasmuch as I don’t know what links are deemed acceptable by Admin.

Just wanting to get your thoughts on these journal papers.  It’s very rare that peer reviewed symposium papers can be found in PDF’s online.

I don't know anything about the theology of those who put the journal together. I think the articles might be interesting to read.
Interesting, my domain name used to be jhronline.com before it was thehebrewcafe.com.
(10-25-2019, 10:01 PM)Jason Wrote: I don't know anything about the theology of those who put the journal together. I think the articles might be interesting to read.

(10-25-2019, 10:01 PM)Jason Wrote: Interesting, my domain name used to be jhronline.com before it was thehebrewcafe.com.

Got it.  Regarding your domain name perhaps this is “confirmation” that we on this forum should review their material  Rolleyes.  J/K.  

Incidentally, I got another debate offer today on locating Jesus in the Hebrew Scriptures by a Trinitarian apologist (something I do not believe can be done by Trinitarians—which is reallyyyy problematic for their supposed “co-eternal divine Son” fabrication).  

Would love to know your take on the Angel of the LORD, one like the Son of Man (Dan. 7), etc.  I do have my own responses to these typical arguments fostered by Trinitarians, but would defer to those who know more about Hebrew than I do (probably in a separate thread).

I think it was the idea of מַלְאַךְ יהוה (the Angel of the Lord) that eventually inspired the entire idea of Jesus. That is, I happen to lean toward mythicism, the idea that Jesus was never a real historical person. The teachings of Jesus and his biographical details are a composite of various wandering teachers (even major rabbis, like Hillel) and biographical details drawn from the text of the Tānāḵ (though having no real historical truth). So, yes, I think that the identification of “the Angel of the Lord” is a very relevant question when it comes to studies regarding the emergence of the Jesus Movement in the first century AD (and perhaps a bit earlier).

To be clearer, Philo related “the Angel of the Lord” to the idea of the heavenly sanctum and the high priest who serves at God’s celestial altar. If there is a temple in Paradise, there is also a priesthood — and that priesthood has a head, which is called Metatron or the Logos. I think JWs relate this character to Michael the archangel, and they also think that Jesus was Michael incarnated. This doesn’t seem far from what early Christians believed, in my opinion. Jesus was initially a celestial being, the high priest of heaven, and only later was biographical detail added to “flesh out” a human being named Jesus.

I don’t think the Jesus thing is real in any sense. It is a complete fabrication. He was never the high priest of heaven. He was never God’s son. He was never a man from Galilee. I’ve read the NT many times over (and know Greek), and I am completely unconvinced of any and every claim from those who think we can have historical certainty regarding Jesus of Nazareth.
Jason—well, since I am a guest on your forum and am not here to defend my beliefs, I will just state that I strongly (yet, respectfully) disagree w. your last paragraph—and I have also had Greek, and have continued on in my studies after completing Greek I. In fact, I am (slowly) taking Greek II now, along w. still trying to get a firmer grasp on Hebrew.

But, again, I am not here to cause problems—I am here to learn more about the Hebrew Scriptures. And, as already stated, I do have a lot of appreciation and respect for the Jewish people and have learned a lot from them concerning the Hebrew Scriptures.

In fact, I am wanting to begin a thread to inquire about the force of the masculine singular participles, singular pronouns, etc. employed by God in Isaiah 44.24—but still trying to get a good feel for this forum lest I color someone’s perceptions regarding my intents as a newbie. I assure you my intents are as I have stated—I am here to learn more about the inspired grammar of the TaNaKh and absolutely nothing else.

Thank you for your response nonetheless. The Philo angle is interesting.