The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hebrew: Medieval Poetry: Gendered Animal Epithets
Hello!

I am currently writing my master's thesis on medieval Jewish poetry, but I do not know Hebrew so I am working in translation. My argument deals with gender in the poems as the animal epithets represented either God or Israel, similar to interpretations of the Song of Songs. I am hoping I can get some assistance in visually identifying the different gendered references so I can more aptly understand who is speaking in the poems and who they are speaking about. 

Below is an excerpt of one of the poems I am working with and the provided translation. This comes from The Penguin Book of Hebrew Verse edited by T. Carmi. The poem is one by Moses ibn Ezra, found in this edition on page 325.

[Image: 20200304_182346.jpg]

And here is an excerpt from Raymond P. Scheindlin's book titled The Gazelle, found on page 37.
[Image: 20200304_182505.jpg]

Would anyone be able to type out how those animals (fem. and masc. gazelle, and fem. and masc. deer/fawn) would appear in Hebrew so I can at least identify them in the original poem's Hebrew? The poem excerpt above shows both hart, which is generally male, and fawn, which is seemingly feminine, both being used and I would like to make sure this is true to the original. 

Thanks so much! And if at all possible I would want to acknowledge whoever helps me with this in my thesis, so if feel comfortable sharing your name and professional title (i.e. if you are a rabbi or scholar of a university) it would be appreciated. I will also keep an eye on my private messages if that works better. 

-Elijah
Hello Elijah and welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know, your first 3 posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots.

I just got back from vacation and am trying to catch up so I didn't have time to dive into your post yet.

Hopefully some others here will be able to look it over and respond.
(03-10-2020, 09:09 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Hello Elijah and welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know, your first 3 posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots.

I just got back from vacation and am trying to catch up so I didn't have time to dive into your post yet.

Hopefully some others here will be able to look it over and respond.

Oh thank you! I was wondering where my post went!  Big Grin
The word "time" is זְמַן zəman, and it is masculine. The word "hart" is עֹ֫פֶר ʿṓp̄er, and it is also feminine.
(03-11-2020, 04:39 AM)Jason Wrote: The word "time" is זְמַן zəman, and it is masculine. The word "hart" is עֹ֫פֶר ʿṓp̄er, and it is also feminine.

I see! Thank you very much! Would you be able to tell me about the word "fawn" in the poem as well? It's in there twice.
It's the word צְבִי ṣəḇî (tsvi). What would you like to know about it?
(03-13-2020, 09:35 AM)Jason Wrote: It's the word צְבִי ṣəḇî (tsvi). What would you like to know about it?

Does this word have a female/male variant as well? If so, what do they look like in Hebrew? 

I spent quite some time trying to find these things out by using google translate and an online Hebrew keyboard, but had no luck there lol. I greatly appreciate your time. If possible I'd like to mention you in my acknowledgements; would you be comfortable privately messaging me your first and last name, as well as any title you might hold?
The text you pasted specifically mentions the feminine form צְבִיָּה ṣəḇîyâ (tsviyah).
(03-16-2020, 11:45 AM)Jason Wrote: The text you pasted specifically mentions the feminine form צְבִיָּה ṣəḇîyâ (tsviyah).

Perfect! Thank you!