The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How safe is it to visit Israel?
I have some friends who want to visit Israel.

My Jewish doctor has visited three times and he said it was very safe.

He said the guide for tours carries an Uzi on his back.

He suggested using Israeli airlines because they have a least 4 marshals on board who know how handle any situation.

What do you say?

Thanks.
I have only been to Israel once one and a half year ago, so I'm no authority on that matter, but my personal experience was that I felt absolutely safe there. There are rigid but polite security checks upon entering the country and I felt much safer than in any other country I visited. Regarding the permanent threat level, I assume that if any country is prepared to handle situations, it is Israel. Apart from terrorism and war concerns, the fast action to ensure protection seems to also include health threats, as we could witness now in the reaction to the Corona virus.
(03-07-2020, 08:28 PM)a_Sarah Wrote: I have only been to Israel once one and a half year ago, so I'm no authority on that matter, but my personal experience was that I felt absolutely safe there. There are rigid but polite security checks upon entering the country and I felt much safer than in any other country I visited. Regarding the permanent threat level, I assume that if any country is prepared to handle situations, it is Israel. Apart from terrorism and war concerns, the fast action to ensure protection seems to also include health threats, as we could witness now in the reaction to the Corona virus.

Did you notice that the tour guides had guns?
I was travelling independently and had not met any tour guides, but I noticed armed guards in the general public. For example, there were entrance controls (bag checks) when entering the mall in Tel Aviv and the airport security was impressive. But I felt protected by that. There are also places to seek cover in the not that likely but ultimately non-zero likelihood of missiles. I am living in Berlin and am honestly more concerned about something happening to me here than on a trip to Israel because there it just feels like there are plans in place. Also, most of my friends and current contacts are Israelis and they are unconcerned, and that's a bit contagious. People from synagogue are also travelling constantly, so it just feels so normalised. But if you feel it's unsafe, you might have specific scenarios on your mind that upset you.

What exactly are your concerns about, do you have any specific worries (terrorism, rockets)? And what areas would your friends like to visit?
(03-08-2020, 10:17 PM)a_Sarah Wrote: I was travelling independently and had not met any tour guides, but I noticed armed guards in the general public. For example, there were entrance controls (bag checks) when entering the mall in Tel Aviv and the airport security was impressive. But I felt protected by that. There are also places to seek cover in the not that likely but ultimately non-zero likelihood of missiles. I am living in Berlin and am honestly more concerned about something happening to me here than on a trip to Israel because there it just feels like there are plans in place.  Also, most of my friends and current contacts are Israelis and they are unconcerned, and that's a bit contagious. People from synagogue are also travelling constantly, so it just feels so normalised. But if you feel it's unsafe, you might have specific scenarios on your mind that upset you.

What exactly are your concerns about, do you have any specific worries (terrorism, rockets)? And what areas would your friends like to visit?

Thanks Sarah,

I don't plan to go myself, but I have some friends who are going.  I wanted to know how safe Israel is for their sakes.
It's very safe, but right now it's hard to get in and out because of the Corona panic.
(03-11-2020, 04:41 AM)Jason Wrote: It's very safe, but right now it's hard to get in and out because of the Corona panic.

Thanks Jason.
I haven't been in seven years, but I have always felt safe there. Sometimes we had armed guards, depending on where we were going.
I've lived in Israel for the past 13 years, and I feel perfectly safe.

(Can you believe that it's been 13 years?! Well, a bit shy. It'll be a complete 13 years in July.)
(03-13-2020, 09:38 AM)Jason Wrote: I've lived in Israel for the past 13 years, and I feel perfectly safe.

(Can you believe that it's been 13 years?! Well, a bit shy. It'll be a complete 13 years in July.)

Didn't you say you didn't feel safe when some Muslims were attacking Jews with knives and scissors?