The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non jewish trying to make a wood passover plate
Hello everybody!

It's nice to be here. I'm Diego from Uruguay and I'm a wood artist. As the post says, I'm not jewish, but I spent most of 2019 with a conservative family (my girlfriend's family). For this year's Seder I'd like to gift them a wood passover plate, and for that I need a little help.

I need to know what goes into it obligatorily, like hebrew messages or symbols, and mostly what is the normal diameter of both the plate and the six inside holes. 

I will carve it from zero with classic hand tools.

Im also looking forward to create a wood Menorah as well in the future, but thats for another post. 

Thank you very much for your help.

Shalom, Diego
There is no standard size for a Seder plate. There is no standard size for each compartment on the plate. My suggestion is that you go on the internet and query “Seder plate”. This will bring up several vendors of Judaica. They will have photos of their wares which I think will answer your questions.
בקש שלום ורדפהו
(03-22-2020, 11:39 AM)RabbiO Wrote: There is no standard size for a Seder plate. There is no standard size for each compartment on the plate. My suggestion is that you go on the internet and query “Seder plate”. This will bring up several vendors of Judaica. They will have photos of their wares which I think will answer your questions.

Thanks for your reply, actually helps a lot with my 'creativity'. I think I'll go with something simple, but I'd love to carve a simple frase, would your recommend any passage, or traditional message of Seder?

Thanks RabbiO
(03-23-2020, 12:15 AM)Diego Wrote: Thanks for your reply, actually helps a lot with my 'creativity'. I think I'll go with something simple, but I'd love to carve a simple frase, would your recommend any passage, or traditional message of Seder?

Thanks RabbiO

Many seder plates have פסח  in the center, the Hebrew word for Passover. If you want to keep it simple, I would leave it at that.
בקש שלום ורדפהו
Photo 
(03-25-2020, 08:16 PM)RabbiO Wrote:
(03-23-2020, 12:15 AM)Diego Wrote: Thanks for your reply, actually helps a lot with my 'creativity'. I think I'll go with something simple, but I'd love to carve a simple frase, would your recommend any passage, or traditional message of Seder?

Thanks RabbiO

Many seder plates have פסח  in the center, the Hebrew word for Passover. If you want to keep it simple, I would leave it at that.

Hello again! I finally crafted it quite simple, but it was still a challenge to achieve in wood. I made it in canadian fir. Here I'll leave some pictures from the grand finale!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(04-09-2020, 08:22 PM)Diego Wrote: Hello again! I finally crafted it quite simple, but it was still a challenge to achieve in wood. I made it in canadian fir. Here I'll leave some pictures from the grand finale!

Well done! It's very beautiful.
You are quite the craftsman Diego!

Looks great!
Oh, that really is nice! We didn't have a seder plate. We had the three-pocket matsah cover that we put plastic bowels on top of with each item inside. Simple, small seder with the basics covered.
Thank you all! Sorry, I haven't been around in a while.
I much appreciate your kind words. With joy I gave it to my father in law a few days before. Though it took time and effort (fir is tremendously hard, and more with small tools), working with wood is relaxing. I would recommend anyone to grab cheap tools from the store and start carving right off! Try making a bowl of your own, any shape you want. Spoons are fun to make too. Or go abstract!

Cheers