The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible to convert Judaism for a non-Jewish person?
Hello everyone!

I am new here and trying to find my path actually. I was raised in a family without religion. I didn't know anything about religions and even God when I was a child. When I grew up, I found my own way and now I believe in God. Also I believe that one of three religions (Judaism, Christianity or Islam) is the right religion but since I was not raised with a religion, it is really hard for me to find my way.
At the same time, even if I couldn't find my path yet, I have very different feeling about Judaism. Even if I was not raised in a Jewish family, I sometimes even feel like a Jewish.  Smile Not only the religion but also Jewish culture is really appealing to me. But I always tried to keep myself away from it since a lot of people told me that Jewish people do not accept converts and it is impossible to convert Judaism if you don't have a Jewish mom.
Since I have never had a Jewish friend before, I wanted to learn the answer from you guys. Is it really impossible for a person to convert Judaism?
Hello Idil and welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know, the first 3 posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots.

Thank you for your introduction!

Not sure where you got your info from, but it absolutely is possible to convert to Judaism.

We do accept converts.

You do not have to have a Jewish mom to convert because if you do, then you already are Jewish!

But you should understand that converting to Judaism is not a quick thing and involves a lot more than just agreeing to be Jewish. You would be joining a people with many customs and rules to follow. Your actions make you responsible for all of the Jewish people.

We do not seek out converts and may not make it easy to convert. That is because we want to make sure you are sincere about your lifelong decision. It's a long process to convert and that is just the start of your Jewish journey.
I echo what SMR said. We definitely accept converts. King David was descended from a convert.
However it is a long and difficult process. You are not only accepting a new faith, you are becoming part of a people. There are many rules to follow, and sometimes they are not easy. People have historically hated and persecuted Jews, so by becoming a Jew you are taking that on.
So if you study and decide you would like to convert, you can. It's just going to be a long and difficult process. And although we accept converts, we don't seek them out so rabbis generally try to dissuade you and will turn you away at the beginning. They need to make sure you are sure of what you are doing.