The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doing a research project, have a Yiddish question
My apologies if the subject is too sensitive for anyone.
Definitely not my intent to offend.

I'm doing a research project on the much hated signs over the gates at some of the camps in Germany and I'm having a disagreement with someone on another project of that time period.

The prisoners mocked the sign over the iron gate with "Arbeit Macht Frei durch den Schornstein".

The disagreement is over whether the saying would be different if it were said or written by a Yiddish speaker. I said no and the other person says yes.

Again, my sincerest apologies if the subject is a sensitive one for readers.

And in the spirit of full transparency, I'm not Jewish. My father was but my mother wasn't.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know, the first 3 posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots.

I'm not familiar with Yiddish but hopefully there is a member here who is and can answer your question.
Also don't know Yiddish well enough to comment.
(05-11-2020, 02:11 AM)tg5005 Wrote: My apologies if the subject is too sensitive for anyone.
Definitely not my intent to offend.

I'm doing a research project on the much hated signs over the gates at some of the camps in Germany and I'm having a disagreement with someone on another project of that time period.

The prisoners mocked the sign over the iron gate with "Arbeit Macht Frei durch den Schornstein".

The disagreement is over whether the saying would be different if it were said or written by a Yiddish speaker. I said no and the other person says yes.

Again, my sincerest apologies if the subject is a sensitive one for readers.

And in the spirit of full transparency, I'm not Jewish. My father was but my mother wasn't.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

HI, 
in yiddish we translate chimney as ''koymen'', or ''chimmery''-, and the word ''the'' is translated as di (pronounced dee) but besides for that every word in the sentence is also used in yiddish.

By the way, there are alot of Jews who wouldn't use the word ''frei''- even though it is proper yiddish- because it reminds them of the holocaust 

Happy Chanuka!