The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why is judaism better about keeping out the losers?
(10-03-2020, 03:26 PM)Jason Wrote: I'm not sure what changes have been made to the process in the last 13 years. When I made aliyah, there was a different authority for Orthodox aliyot than for non-Orthodox aliyot. I needed to send letters from the president and the rabbi of my congregation to indicate my standing in the local Jewish community. I drove to Chicago to meet with the shliḥat aliyah, and we cemented my plans. I went alone at 27 years old, and I first went to an aliyah center in Raanana, where I stayed for two days before friends from Rishon LeZion brought me to live with them until I got a job and everything.

As far as I'm aware, Orthodox converts have a more difficult time making aliyah because the authority in charge of Orthodox conversions only accepts converts who completed their process under specific rabbis' auspices. No one knows who the accepted rabbis are, so when you go to apply for aliyah, they might reject you out of hand. It's easier for Reform and Conservative, since these conversions are accepted by the aliyah agency without contest - so long as you have active standing in the Jewish community and can demonstrate that. This may have changed recently, but I doubt it.

I'm not sure what further information I can provide. I came without a job lined up, and I ended up sleeping on a friend's couch for nearly two months while I got my first few checks and could get lined up with an apartment. I started as an English teacher, then I was a flight attendant, and now I'm working at the front desk of a large hotel. Actually, because of COVID-19, I'm sitting at home on unemployment under lockdown.

The only thing that I can really recommend is that you relate differently to the Reform and Conservative movements. They are perfectly fine as independent approaches to the whole concept. You should read their own publications rather than looking down your nose at them, as is the typical Orthodox view of anything non-Orthodox.

Good luck with your journey!

Thank you Jason that was very helpful and i really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I was picking up on myself having a better-than ultra-orthodox attitude as well thank you for pointing that out. The more i have studied Kabbalah I am trying to look at things as neutral and all given by the Creator, so instead of feeling some superiority or pushback, i actually want to understand the Creators purpose for His creation. 

I have been spending a lot of time on History of the Reform movement and i see how the push against the strict orthodoxy was legitimate, and at the same time for me personally it feels like it is too far on the other side of the coin, and i am more inbetween. 

You have mentioned Egalitarian Orthodox, and i want to understand at a deep level why in Orthodoxy are women have less status than a Man. I am not on the side of right or wrong i just want to understand it to sort out whether or not it makes logical sense. If they can not make a solid argument as to why women do not have equal freedoms i will definitely go conservative. Without knowing though there could be a perfectly good explanation.

I am taking a class on International Law and i am trying to juggle internally outside influence over local custom and how those two things from a Kabbalistic point of view can work together for healthy modern reform in all nations and religions.

Thank you again,

Shalom

Messages In This Thread
RE: why is judaism better about keeping out the losers? - by MatthewColorado - 10-14-2020, 02:51 PM