The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hebrew: Advices on increasing vocubulary
Question 
In the past years, I, B''H managed to learn reading Hebrew, but I feel like I am stuck. I really need some resources to learn more and more words systematically. Are there any resources, I could learn new words from? I really want to be able to read Hebrew commentaries and listen to Hebrew speakers and understand them. I feel like I am very close to that, but I somehow need to massively increase my vocabulary. Also, I guess I am more into Hebrew of Tanakh, but not into modern spoken Hebrew.

I have also noticed, that the best way to learn words (also conjugations) is not to just remember them, but to read the text and frequently stumbling upon those words (active recalling, is that how you call it?).

Maybe there is some kind of a dictionary or something? E.g I read a commentary and don't know what a certain word means, how do I learn that word?
I know that there is a webpage Pealim, do you think it is good for such a purpose?
The only proven way to improve your vocabulary is to read. If you want to know biblical vocabulary, read the Bible. Frequently and for pleasure. If you want to improve you voccab in English, read in English. If you want to improve your vocab in modern Hebrew, read in modern Hebrew. It's the only tried and true way.

Pealim will help you know how a verb is declined. It will not improve your vocabulary. If you come across a word that you don't recognize, consult a dictionary (Morfix? Even Shoshan?). If the dictionary doesn't answer your question, ask someone who has a broader experience in the language. Give them the context, spell out the sentence, ask them what they understand of the uncertain word.
(09-02-2020, 06:22 PM)Jason Wrote: The only proven way to improve your vocabulary is to read. If you want to know biblical vocabulary, read the Bible. Frequently and for pleasure. If you want to improve you voccab in English, read in English. If you want to improve your vocab in modern Hebrew, read in modern Hebrew. It's the only tried and true way.

Pealim will help you know how a verb is declined. It will not improve your vocabulary. If you come across a word that you don't recognize, consult a dictionary (Morfix? Even Shoshan?). If the dictionary doesn't answer your question, ask someone who has a broader experience in the language. Give them the context, spell out the sentence, ask them what they understand of the uncertain word.

Thanks, I suprisingly never stumbled upon morfix. Is Soshan available online, or it's only in paper format?.
(09-03-2020, 03:51 AM)Robis Wrote: Thanks, I suprisingly never stumbled upon morfix. Is Soshan available online, or it's only in paper format?.

This frustrates me, actually. I spent ₪130 on an electronic version of Even Shoshan through the Babylon software. It worked really well for a year, then they wanted me to pay for Babylon software itself in order to keep using what I had paid for. I haven't had access to it now in about a year. I don't get how they can sell you a product "for life" that you then cannot use without paying for the platform, which was advertised as free.

In other words, you can pay to get access to Even Shoshan digitally, but read the fine print. I used to have a huge print edition, but it was too heavy when I needed to move to a new apartment, and I got rid of it. I loved that book.
(09-02-2020, 01:46 PM)Robis Wrote: In the past years, I, B''H managed to learn reading Hebrew, but I feel like I am stuck. I really need some resources to learn more and more words systematically. Are there any resources, I could learn new words from? I really want to be able to read Hebrew commentaries and listen to Hebrew speakers and understand them. I feel like I am very close to that, but I somehow need to massively increase my vocabulary. Also, I guess I am more into Hebrew of Tanakh, but not into modern spoken Hebrew.

I have also noticed, that the best way to learn words (also conjugations) is not to just remember them, but to read the text and frequently stumbling upon those words (active recalling, is that how you call it?).

Maybe there is some kind of a dictionary or something? E.g I read a commentary and don't know what a certain word means, how do I learn that word?
I know that there is a webpage Pealim, do you think it is good for such a purpose?
The difficult thing of hebrew language(biblical and modern) is the verb.what's wrong with dictionaries? I've learned english with a dictionary.you want to use a dictionary in order to increase your vocabulary.For biblical hebrew you can use the vocabulary guide to biblical hebrew book.