The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction: Hello!
Hello everyone! I joined this forum to discuss a crisis I have found myself in and am seeking advice from others. I am struggling with imposter syndrome and feeling as if I am not actually Jewish and need to formally convert. But, I will share my story here for advice. 

When I was a young girl (under 10) my Grandmother discovered our family lineage has Jewish roots, however, she was Christain. This made her opt into a Messianic "temple" and took me every Friday for "Shabbat". I put quotations because I know as an adult that Messianic practices are not purely Jewish and actually cause harm to the community...Here is my issue that stems from this information. As an adult, I identify myself as an Agnostic Jewish Woman (currently struggling with the essence of G-d and the complexity of life, as most young adults do). I do this because as a girl I did not like the "temple" I was taken to because it was not Jewish in my eyes. I did my own research through high school and found myself aligned in the community. 

Recently, I have found myself feeling guilty for being introduced to Judaism through an inherently Christain practice, and feel as if I myself am an issue in the community. The practice is closed unless born into it or converted, but where does that leave me? Culturally I did not experience an ounce of Jewish culture until around 10, and even that was not truly the culture. My introduction to Judaism was through a problematic practice...does that essentially dispute how I have identified for over a third of my life now?
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Just to let you know, the first 3 posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots.

Thank you for sharing your story and for opening up about your situation.

The short answer is - Don't feel guilty.

For my long answer -

You can feel happy that you were exposed to some sort of Judaism and that you have the freedom to investigate and learn for yourself.

There are many in your situation. Although you may not be sure if you are Jewish or not unless you can be sure your mother's mother was. There are many other people like you who have questions as well, even those born as a Jew. With all of the assimilation, many Jewish people are searching their roots and looking for meaning in their lives and Judaism.

So no, being introduced to Judaism through what you describe as a problematic practice shouldn't determine your life. It is what you do moving forward.

So I see the choices as follows -

You can find out who was Jewish in your family, if anyone, and that could determine whether you are Jewish or not.

You can look into what conversion entails and determine if that is where your life is leading you to, realizing it is a lifelong journey and commitment that has many challenges (with a lot of joy as well!).

You can look into what Noahides practice and see if that is a path you would like to take. Basically being who you are and following the teachings of the Hebrew bible.

That's just my 2 cents and I'm sure others here might be able to add or subtract to what I have said.

Either way, I wish you the best on your journey and want you to know we are here to answer questions and help as we can.
You are so kind. Thank you for helping me. I feel like my next steps need to be a formal conversion. I appreciate your kindness, I was so nervous to ask for advice.
Hello, and welcome to the forum. I echo what SMR stated.
I would first suggest if you can do a search of your family background. If you can find an unbroken maternal link to Jewish ancestor, then you would have the proof that you are Jewish. It would not matter if you were raised Jewish or not, others are also in the same position. What matters is what you would do going forward.
If you do not have the maternal descent, or have no proof of it, conversion would be an option. It would be something to research carefully and see if it would be something you would like to pursue.
Or you could stay as a Noahide. You could still attend shul and other things but of course it would limit your participation in the Jewish community.
Three very different options. I would again start with a genealogy study of your family and see where that leads.