The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Judaism: Rabbis of Talmud
Question 
Hello everyone!

I'm a non-Jewish Ukrainian book translator and I'm currently working on a Stan Lee biography by a Jewish American author. Among other things, he writes about Lee's Judaistic beliefs and their possible connection with the writer's creations. Working on one of the chapters I've just come across a passage that I can't translate without the help of Jewish community representatives. 

It reads as follows: "Discussing what the coming of the Messiah—the final redeemer, the ultimate superhero—might look like, the wise rabbis of the Talmud described a vision the Captain might have endorsed."

Could you help me to understand who are the rabbis of the Talmud? Is the author talking about the rabbis who created the Talmud as a written text, or he may as well refer to present-day rabbis who base their theological concepts on the Talmud?

Thank you in advance!
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know, the first 3 posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots.

I don't think "Forum Rules" is the proper place for this post so I'll have someone relocate it.

I do not have an answer for you but hopefully someone else here will.
(12-16-2020, 01:53 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Hello and welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know, the first 3 posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots.

I don't think "Forum Rules" is the proper place for this post so I'll have someone relocate it.

I do not have an answer for you but hopefully someone else here will.

Sorry, I was sure I was posting it into "Judaism General" topic. I'll be really grateful if you relocate it there. Thanks in advance!
(12-16-2020, 12:57 PM)V.Stelmakh Wrote: Hello everyone!

I'm a non-Jewish Ukrainian book translator and I'm currently working on a Stan Lee biography by a Jewish American author. Among other things, he writes about Lee's Judaistic beliefs and their possible connection with the writer's creations. Working on one of the chapters I've just come across a passage that I can't translate without the help of Jewish community representatives. 

It reads as follows: "Discussing what the coming of the Messiah—the final redeemer, the ultimate superhero—might look like, the wise rabbis of the Talmud described a vision the Captain might have endorsed."

Could you help me to understand who are the rabbis of the Talmud? Is the author talking about the rabbis who created the Talmud as a written text, or he may as well refer to present-day rabbis who base their theological concepts on the Talmud?

Thank you in advance!

The rabbis that are quoted in the Talmud are normally called the "Sages." In Hebrew, they are specifically called חֲכָמֵ֫ינוּ זִכְרוֹנָם לִבְרָכָה ḥăḵāmếnû ziḵrônām liḇrāḵâ (chachamím zichronám livracháh), "our sages of blessed memory" (abbreviated to חָזָ״ל [chazal]). You can find out about the various rabbis that appear in the Talmud on Wikipedia.
I moved this thread to introductions.
The plural of "rabbi" is "rabbis." I've corrected that in your thread title. Smile
(12-16-2020, 04:52 PM)Jason Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 12:57 PM)V.Stelmakh Wrote: Hello everyone!

Thank you in advance!

The rabbis that are quoted in the Talmud are normally called the "Sages." In Hebrew, they are specifically called חֲכָמֵ֫ינוּ זִכְרוֹנָם לִבְרָכָה ḥăḵāmếnû ziḵrônām liḇrāḵâ (chachamím zichronám livracháh), "our sages of blessed memory" (abbreviated to חָזָ״ל [chazal]). You can find out about the various rabbis that appear in the Talmud on Wikipedia.

Thanks a lot, Jason! You've been very helpful.  Smile
(12-16-2020, 08:27 PM)V.Stelmakh Wrote: Thanks a lot, Jason! You've been very helpful.  Smile

With pleasure. Feel free to hang out and participate on the forum. Smile