The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Veil or Not to Veil
It seems that many verses in the Christian bible for some reason or another, change what is actually written in the Hebrew bible.

In 2 Corinthians 3 we have Paul saying -

"12Therefore, since we have such a hope, we are very bold. 13We are not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face to keep the Israelite's from gazing at the end of what was fading away. 14But their minds were closed. For to this day the same veil remains at the reading of the old covenant. It has not been lifted, because only in Jesus can it be removed."

Where does Paul get this from?

I'm guessing he is referring to Exodus 34 when Moses came down from the mountain.

I'm not going to paste what the Hebrew bible says, I want people to read it for themselves, starting at verse 29.

Please show me where it says what Paul wrote.

Thank you.
(04-01-2021, 09:15 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: It seems that many verses in the Christian bible for some reason or another, change what is actually written in the Hebrew bible.

"12Therefore, since we have such a hope, we are very bold. 13We are not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face to keep the Israelite's from gazing at the end of what was fading away. 14But their minds were closed. For to this day the same veil remains at the reading of the old covenant. It has not been lifted, because only in Jesus can it be removed."

I'm guessing he is referring to Exodus 34 when Moses came down from the mountain.

I'm not going to paste what the Hebrew bible says, I want people to read it for themselves, starting at verse 29.

Thank you.
which part exactly do you say that it is changed?
(04-01-2021, 11:21 PM)Ismq Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 09:15 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: It seems that many verses in the Christian bible for some reason or another, change what is actually written in the Hebrew bible.

Thank you.

Actually, I'm asking the question!

What does Exodus 34 say about the the covering on Moses face?

How does that compare with what Paul says about it?
(04-02-2021, 12:17 AM)searchinmyroots Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 11:21 PM)Ismq Wrote:

Thank you.

Actually, I'm asking the question!

What does Exodus 34 say about the the covering on Moses face?

How does that compare with what Paul says about it?
I don't understand.in exodus 34 it says that moses covered his face.
(04-02-2021, 12:28 AM)Ismq Wrote: I don't understand.in exodus 34 it says that moses covered his face.

Why did he cover his face?
I like this part of the Exodus when G-d shows Himself (for the first time?) in such a direct an powerful way to all His people.

Not all the quotes and meanings of the Hebrew bible are so accurate in the New testament, but they aren't wrong. For me, it is helpful to see the matter from different angles and "play" with sentences.

The veil in 2 Corinthians 3 is located on different places than in Exodus, is that what you mean?

Moses covered his face because G-ds Glory was too bright to look at, right?
Nobody is answering my question, I'll be more specific -

What is Paul saying about Moses and the veil as it relates to the Israelite's?
(04-02-2021, 12:27 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Nobody is answering my question, I'll be more specific -

I tried to answer your question,  Why did he cover his face?

Isn't the second question answered in your quote above (2 Corinthins 3)?
(04-02-2021, 02:57 PM)Blue Bird Wrote:
(04-02-2021, 12:27 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Nobody is answering my question, I'll be more specific -

I tried to answer your question,  Why did he cover his face?

Isn't the second question answered in your quote above (2 Corinthins 3)?

Yes, you wrote - "Moses covered his face because G-ds Glory was too bright to look at, right? "

Is that what Exodus 34 says? Read specifically verses 29-35 - 

https://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/9895

How does what Paul said about Moses and a veil relate to that?
(04-02-2021, 12:27 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Nobody is answering my question....

Let me say this first. Paul’s comments are not reflected in the words as written in the Torah.

Now let me say this. The first sentence in your original post gave me pause. It is so wrongheaded

Give it some thought and try to figure it out. If you can’t we’ll talk about it after the end of Pesach.
בקש שלום ורדפהו