The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "" - Line: 1584 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 1584 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 203 usergroup_displaygroup
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 1588 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1588 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 1588 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "useravatar" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(938) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(938) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 938 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "userstars" - Line: 11 - File: inc/functions_post.php(938) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(938) : eval()'d code 11 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key "" - Line: 1584 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1584 errorHandler->error_callback
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "useravatar" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(938) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(938) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key "userstars" - Line: 11 - File: inc/functions_post.php(938) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(938) : eval()'d code 11 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General: Book recommendations / discussions
Hi everyone,

in the old forum, someone recommended "A Code of Jewish Ethics" by Joseph Telushkin to me. I am currently reading it and find it very worthwhile and insightful. However, you can never have too many books, so I was wondering which other books you might recommend. What are your favourites?
It might be anything from learning ressources over biographies to children's books, only prerequisite is that is has to do anything (topic, author, relevance) with Judaism or Jewish culture.

If you like, we can also use this thread to talk about or discuss books that are not necessarily recommendations, but that fit the "generally related to Judaism"-feature, that you are reading currently.

I hope for this to become a thread where anyone in search for a good read might find some new ireading inspiration. Smile
@Sarah - Thanks. . .It was probably me that recommended ' A Code of Jewish Ethics ' I have every book that has been written by Joseph Telushkin.

My next best recommendation, and is a must read is 'Jewish Literacy'. Even for the very learned.

Here: https://www.amazon.com/Jewish-Literacy-R...0061374989

All books by him here: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?...-intl-ship&field-keywords=Joseph+Teleshkin

A really great book by him ' The Book of Jewish Values ' is a daily reader. A couple of pages for each day. Get the day off to a good start type book.
Anything by Jospeh Telushkin or Rabbi Jonathan Sachs is definitely worth a read.
I've read practically every one of Sam Levenson's books.  Sam Levenson is long gone now.  He wasn't a rabbi, but he had great insight into human nature that he expressed through humor.  He said a lot of funny stuff that was often very ethical and very wise.

I first discovered Sam Levenson when I picked up one of his books (old, used, and cheap!) at NYC's Strand bookstore.  His stories about growing up Jewish in Brooklyn in the early part of the last century had me fascinated. You can get his books through Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Sam-Levenson/e/B0...1547253271&sr=8-1

Do yourself a treat and try one!  Smile
Heart !לחיים

I also highly recommend anything written by Jospeh Telushkin or Rabbi Jonathan Sacks.

Another favorite of mine is Rabbi David Fohrman (he is coming out with a new book soon).

Here are some links -

https://www.amazon.com/Jonathan-Sacks/e/...1547400446&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.com/Rabbi-David-Fohrm...1547400501&sr=1-1
I like Telushkin, Blu Greenberg, Neil Gillman, Abraham Joshua Heschel, and I also recommend This is Real and You are Completely Unprepared by Alan Lew.
One of my least favorite Jewish 'holidays' has always been Purim, but the JPS Bible Commentary: Esther (by Adele Berlin) has done much to make the text more palatable to me.
(01-16-2019, 12:36 AM)nili Wrote: One of my least favorite Jewish 'holidays' has always been Purim, but the JPS Bible Commentary: Esther (by Adele Berlin) has done much to make the text more palatable to me.

What have you not liked about Purim?
The local girl does well foils wicked plot holiday - Is also my least favorite.

Glad to see it's not just me !
(01-16-2019, 12:42 AM)Chavak Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 12:36 AM)nili Wrote: One of my least favorite Jewish 'holidays' has always been Purim, but the JPS Bible Commentary: Esther (by Adele Berlin) has done much to make the text more palatable to me.

What have you not liked about Purim?

He wanted to kill us. We turned the tide. Yay us - let's relish our victory by slaughtering  them by the thousands. Please pass the hamentashen.