The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does my hebrew name make sense
Thank you for taking a look at my question.

I have no thought about my Hebrew name for a long time but I recently married and it was necessary for Ketubah. I told my Rabbi that my Hebrew name is Nachanan (Noch-ha-non). He seemed a bit puzzled by I explained that my mother told me it meant "Gift from G-d". Does this make sense and can anyone offer any insight? I am almost positive I misspelled it hence the attempt at spelling it phonetically.

Thanks!

Smile
I think your Rabbi would have the best insight.

Maybe it comes from the word "nachas"?
(12-04-2022, 02:17 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: I think your Rabbi would have the best insight.

Maybe it comes from the word "nachas"?

yes that makes sense to me, but as I said my Rabbi had never heard of it.

I ran into the Rabbi that actually gave me my Hebrew name and he didn't bat an eye when I reminded him. I guess its possible to make up a Hebrew name or really do whatever you want?
I've heard of Nachama but not Nachanan. But no matter, mazel tov on getting married!
(12-06-2022, 10:25 PM)Chavak Wrote: I've heard of Nachama but not Nachanan. But no matter, mazel tov on getting married!

thanks, Chavak!
Perhaps it is based on נֶחָמָה (nechamah): comfort. 

Psa. 119,50 This is my comfort in my distress,
that your promise gives me life.

Job 6,10 This would be my consolation;
I would even exult in unrelenting pain;
for I have not denied the words of the Holy One.

The name of the prophet Nehemiah (נְחֶמְיָה), 'God' has comforted, is based on this root.

Perhaps a shortened form of 'he has comforted us' nachamanu.