The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help interpret the passages
Shalom, I need some help understanding these passages,please.

how do you interpret this verse:
Genesis 18 1 YHWH appeared to Abraham near the great trees of Mamre while he was sitting at the entrance to his tent in the heat of the day.2Abraham looked up and saw three men standing nearby. When he saw them, he hurried from the entrance of his tent to meet them and bowed low to the ground.3He said, "If I have found favor in your eyes, my lord, [1] do not pass your servant by.'

Did YHWH Himself appear to Abraham or was it G-d's agent or representative? If it was an angel or YHWH's representative of some sort that appeared to Abraham and spoke to him does it mean the Sacred Name of YHWH can be applied to other beings, too in traditional Jewish belief? 

Genesis 19: 24 Then YHWH rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from YHWH out of the heavens.

Does it read as if there are two YHWHs in action? From Shema we know that there is One YHWH. I find it hard text to understand, can someone explain this?

Does traditional Jewish belief take the view that some being can also be called YHWH even though YHWH is ONE? 
Like an angel in the burning bush. 

I would much appreciate your clarifications on this, 
shalom!
(06-17-2021, 06:16 PM)andrewlya Wrote: Genesis 19: 24 Then YHWH rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from YHWH out of the heavens.

Does it read as if there are two YHWHs in action? From Shema we know that there is One YHWH. I find it hard text to understand, can someone explain this?

I would be interested how you read the passage above so that you understand it as two different Beeings.

As I read it, it's the same Person. As if someone is sitting in his paraglider and is pouring out his drinking water to the earth. People on the beach would say: Hey, this person above is raining water on us! Then a second, closer look: he pours it out out of his paraglider. - Just a more specific description of the same situation.
Please place your query to Ask A rabbi at either Chabad.com or Aish.Torah websites
(06-18-2021, 04:57 PM)Nooone Wrote: Please place your query to Ask A rabbi at either Chabad.com or Aish.Torah websites

Actually there are other resources besides these two. There are other resources besides Orthodox websites.

You seem fixated on these websites. Why?

I think I have asked you this question in the past, but I do not recall seeing an answer from you - Do you believe that Orthodox Judaism is the only legitimate and authentic expression of Judaism. Do you believe that Jewish wisdom resides only within Orthodoxy?

There is, by the way, an explanation why the verse is worded the way it is... and you don't need an Orthodox source to tell you what it is. It is the same explanation from Orthodox, Reform and Conservative sources.
בקש שלום ורדפהו
I beleive that all Jews Outside the Land of Israel have a right to settle in Israel-regardless of the United Nations-and that once settled they can have the oppurnity as best they can to live their lives as People of the Book [Torah]. .
As regard to answearing this query on this post regarding the L-D I cannot give an answear so I posted the names of these two Jewish websites I am familier with which could be helpful..although there probably are other Jewish question websites that could give the answear.
(06-18-2021, 08:38 AM)Blue Bird Wrote:
(06-17-2021, 06:16 PM)andrewlya Wrote: Genesis 19: 24 Then YHWH rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from YHWH out of the heavens.

I would be interested how you read the passage above so that you understand it as two different Beeings.

As I read it, it's the same Person. As if someone is sitting in his paraglider and is pouring out his drinking water to the earth. People on the beach would say: Hey, this person above is raining water on us! Then a second, closer look: he pours it out out of his paraglider. - Just a more specific description of the same situation.
It's fair enough. Thanks for this, what about Elohim appearing to Abraham in the human flesh as in Genesis 18? How is this possible? And if it was not YHWH, then who was it and why did this person have the Name?
(06-18-2021, 06:40 PM)RabbiO Wrote:
(06-18-2021, 04:57 PM)Nooone Wrote: Please place your query to Ask A rabbi at either Chabad.com or Aish.Torah websites

Actually there are other resources besides these two. There are other resources besides Orthodox websites.

You seem fixated on these websites. Why?

I think I have asked you this question in the past, but I do not recall seeing an answer from you - Do you believe that Orthodox Judaism is the only legitimate and authentic expression of Judaism. Do you believe that Jewish wisdom resides only within Orthodoxy?

There is, by the way, an explanation why the verse is worded the way it is... and you don't need an Orthodox source to tell you what it is. It is the same explanation from Orthodox, Reform and Conservative sources.

There is no reason why someone should not put these sort of questions to this website to obtain members options and views. The contributor is however correct to the extent that the websites to which he refers will provide expert advice, if that is what the Asker seeks. However, it is fair to say there are Orthodox Ask a Rabbi websites additional to the very good ones he mentions; (it is my view that I would suggest an Orthodox website). 

The word "appeared" is not mean literally, since G-d does not have visible form; it means Abraham perceived the Presence, and the arrival of the three Heavenly messengers confirmed this. 
Both of the verses about which the Asker inquires, are referring to G-d.
I am not a Rabbi.