The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction: Personal Introduction
Hang in there AGCG!

You are doing fine so far and just remember this is a journey.

One that actually never ends as we learn , adapt and grow everyday!
Hi, welcome to the forum!

I am also on the long path towards conversion. The one thing I learned so far is: to have patience. I have started to think about conversion two years ago and connected with a congregation (reform) in my city, but due to Corona everything has been on hold since March. In the beginning, I would have agreed to convert on the spot had it been possible because I was so eager to, but the involuntary waiting due to the circumstances helped me to take it slow and "learn along" with the holidays as the year goes on. Now I trust that my time for conversion will come when it is right for me. If anything, my wish to convert only ever grew stronger and I feel my life starts to interweave not only with Judaism as a religion, but also with Israel. There might be doubts and that's normal. I was doubting myself and my motives a lot, but everyone doubts. It is really a chance to reflect and take on other perspectives, in order to find your personal right way.

It is a lot to learn and there are so many customs, holidays and traditions. What you already can do is to research anything you come across. If you use google calendar, you can add Jewish holidays to your schedule. I did it and always search for the holidays as they come along in order to learn more about them.

For me, online services have been a great resource to welcome Shabbat and to not feel too lonely in regard of observing during these times. If you're in South America, you might find some US-based services online which might suit your time zone. Depending on if you're open to reform, Central Synagogue's live streams might be interesting to you: https://www.centralsynagogue.org/worship/live_streaming

I also have gotten great book recommendations here and from friends, e.g. "A Code of Jewish Ethics" and "Jewish Literacy". both by Rabbi Joseph Telushkin,"Choosing a Jewish Life" by Anita Diamant, who specifically adresses converts (all available as e-books!).

It is great that you and your fiancee can start this journey together! Shabbat shalom! Smile
Great advice Sarah, thanks for helping AGCG on his journey!

When you mentioned calendar, I remembered a website where you can download a 3 year Jewish Holiday Calendar.

Here is the link it anyone is interested - https://jr.co.il/jewish-calendar.htm

Shabbat Shalom!
(09-25-2020, 05:47 PM)a_Sarah Wrote: ...

Hello Sarah, good morning

Thank you so much for your recommendations. So far, no one replied to my emails, so I am studying basically on my own. It will be great to have a chance to catch a stream of a ceremony. I do need some help on the calendar and holidays, it is a complete new world, and I know I already missed a lot. Also, I apparently chose a terrible time to reach out, considering every day I check is a holiday  Big Grin

I am open to all denominations. I am beginning to learn my place, my path, only after some study I will be able to truly point where I really belong. I managed to cool down a little bit on these days (much due to work), I will be able to study more while slowly inserting some aspects of daily lives (I am resuming my vegetarian diet, for an example. I stopped being close to a year ago, and returning to it will be a really help in beginning to insert a kosher regime). After I feel more ready and if no one reply to me from my city, yes, I will begin to reach out for synagogues abroad, less to find a sponsor rabbi (I am sure it would be unadvisable to sponsor someone so far from your community) and more to learn how to take the next step. Reading and understanding the Tanakh is one thing, but truly understanding, embracing and living all of the laws are a whole other deal, much tougher to assimilate. But I do feel so right every time I feel about this, it is a great feeling.

I will be reading those books as well. Again, thank you so much,
(09-29-2020, 03:51 PM)AGCG Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 05:47 PM)a_Sarah Wrote: ...

Hello Sarah, good morning

Thank you so much for your recommendations. So far, no one replied to my emails, so I am studying basically on my own. It will be great to have a chance to catch a stream of a ceremony. I do need some help on the calendar and holidays, it is a complete new world, and I know I already missed a lot. Also, I apparently chose a terrible time to reach out, considering every day I check is a holiday  Big Grin

I am open to all denominations. I am beginning to learn my place, my path, only after some study I will be able to truly point where I really belong. I managed to cool down a little bit on these days (much due to work), I will be able to study more while slowly inserting some aspects of daily lives (I am resuming my vegetarian diet, for an example. I stopped being close to a year ago, and returning to it will be a really help in beginning to insert a kosher regime). After I feel more ready and if no one reply to me from my city, yes, I will begin to reach out for synagogues abroad, less to find a sponsor rabbi (I am sure it would be unadvisable to sponsor someone so far from your community) and more to learn how to take the next step. Reading and understanding the Tanakh is one thing, but truly understanding, embracing and living all of the laws are a whole other deal, much tougher to assimilate. But I do feel so right every time I feel about this, it is a great feeling.

I will be reading those books as well. Again, thank you so much,
part of the delay is because of the holy days we just observed, and part that they frequently will not respond initially to test your sincerity. Be persistent.
Hi everyone,

researching my geneology yesterday morning, I've stumbled onto something I didn't think would be likely, given that the event didn't take place in any area one would expect it to have happened such as in Germany or in the Americas. But, rather in a more remote society. I'll go into detail, in the sub-forum of which is assigned for this purpose. In any event, I'm happy to be here and am eager to read some interesting conversation
(06-21-2021, 05:19 AM)Alan_Boskov Wrote: Hi everyone,

researching my geneology yesterday morning, I've stumbled onto something I didn't think would be likely, given that the event didn't take place in any area one would expect it to have happened such as in Germany or in the Americas. But, rather in a more remote society. I'll go into detail, in the sub-forum of which is assigned for this purpose. In any event, I'm happy to be here and am eager to read some interesting conversation

Hello Alan and welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know, the first 3 posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots.

I just approved your 3 other posts so you should be good to go!

Thanks for joining us and looking forward to seeing more of your posts.