The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GI Jewish Soldiers 1941-1945
Please don't think too much about offending "us" non-Jews. People are so afraid these days to say something wrong and hurt someones feelings. It's all about feelings. No, I like discussing our different believes or simply listen to Jews when they talk about Judaism (when that's what they believe in). But thank you for beeing vigilant and careful with the people around you.

I think the meals are good after 16 years, they say you can eat canned food after 20 and more years. It's only in the head and I guess I would eat it, too, if there was nothing else to eat.
No worries, Blue Bird. There is not a 'politically correct' bone in my body and I stringently oppose unwarranted censorship and 'cancel culture', as a matter of principle. Attempts by would-be despots and tyrants at manipulating people's behaviour (and by extension, their thinking) by way of draconian carrot and stick 'social credit systems' isn't my cup of tea, either.

I will speak my mind when the need arises. You may be assured of that. However, I will do so in a respectful manner. Civil discourse requires that we have the capacity on occasion to disagree without being disagreeable. Civility and decorum need not take a back seat to displays of petty bickering nor self-aggrandisement.

And always, there is the tension and struggle within whereby the need to speak up regarding matters of importance for the general good...... Must be weighed against observance of lashon harah.

All the best,

Daryavesh
A good snapshot {Photograph} and field story of Vietnam..my father[FMF Korea USMC]had two distant cousins who went to Vietnam..one US army the other one USMC both KIA....about getting 20 years old field rations....I can beleive that....wonder it didnt put you into Hors d'combat.....

Heres forum for your Vietnam story/picture...
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/forum.php

USMC Magazine Leatherneck always looking for USMC Stories...
Sad to learn of your cousins who died whilst serving in Viet Nam, Nooone. The war touched many lives and the ripple effects, many more.

I seldom speak of those times. For some reason, I felt compelled to revisit the events of that day and share some of them here. If that was inappropriate, I will avoid doing so in future.

Best regards,

Daryavesh
(10-19-2021, 04:20 PM)Daryavesh Wrote: ...Others such as the infamous Ham and Lima beans, even the goyim hated. It was these that I was able to trade the ARVN (Army, Republic of Viet Nam) Sergeant for the M2 carbine...

It makes me wonder as to what this sergeant intended to bait with it. Vietnamese food isn't the worst that there is out there that he would need to chow down C-rations. Maybe, he wanted to bait tigers for their fur or bears for their bile, who knows.
Hello, Alan! Good to hear from you. Regarding the much hated Ham and Lima Beans C-rations I traded for the M2 carbine nearly 55 years ago...... Your guess is as good as mine.

Perhaps the ARVN Sergeant was going to use them as a method of torture when interrogating prisoners. Or perhaps he didn't realize just how much Americans disliked them and felt he was getting the better part of the trade we made. He struck me as ein Mann, der Erfahrung im Tauschhandel hat. And so I felt sure that I was not taking advantage of him. It was a fair trade.

When my 2nd born son came home on leave from the Marine Corps years later, he brought some MREs (meals ready to eat) with him. These have replaced the old canned C-rations. They are in packaged form. I tried them. They are OK, but I am more used to the canned field rations we had.

Best regards,

Daryavesh
(10-22-2021, 05:13 AM)Daryavesh Wrote: ...Perhaps the ARVN Sergeant was going to use them as a method of torture when interrogating prisoners...

Just like the Germans using Spam for torturing and interrogating British prisoners  Big Grin

[Image: ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.skylighters.org%2Fen...f=1&nofb=1]
Saw this story
https://www.timesofisrael.com/idfs-1st-f...his-death/
https://www.timesofisrael.com/idfs-1st-f...his-death/

Thanks, Nooone. I am glad Martin Davidovich is being remembered and recognized for his efforts to come to Israel's aid in 1948. When I first began reading the account of his death, I thought he may have died in a parachuting mishap. Those are more common than most realize. I can tell you it takes a special kind of meshuga to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. And beitzim so big you should have a wheelbarrow to carry them around. On my 3rd training jump, I landed wrong and crushed my heel bones, broke one ankle and tore ligaments in the other. And I am not ashamed to say that each time I jumped, it was all I could do to make myself go out the door.

Quote:According to testimonies at the time, Davidovich was killed during a training exercise in August 1948 which aimed to practice taking over a sentry post.

The Czech officer guarding the post grabbed him and shot Davidovich in the head. The officer later claimed he did not think his weapon was loaded. He was suspended for 24 hours.

Davidovich was 21 years old when he died.

I must say that the 'official' account of Davidovich's death does not ring true. Highly unlikely that a military officer would not know that his weapon was loaded. Or that anyone trained in military procedures would point their weapon at a person during training exercises and shoot them in the head at point blank range. And be 'suspended' (relieved of duty) for only 24 hours as a result? Really?

Considering the history of Czechoslovakia from 1939 until this incident occurred in 1948, I am suspicious of that account and even more glad Martin Davidovich is being remembered and recognized for his efforts to come to Israel's aid.

Best regards,

Daryavesh
(10-23-2021, 02:32 AM)Alan_Boskov Wrote:
(10-22-2021, 05:13 AM)Daryavesh Wrote: ...Perhaps the ARVN Sergeant was going to use them as a method of torture when interrogating prisoners...

Just like the Germans using Spam for torturing and interrogating British prisoners  Big Grin

[Image: ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.skylighters.org%2Fen...f=1&nofb=1]

Sick  Oy gevalt! Spam...... An example of man's inhumanity to man! Isn't Spam prohibited by the Geneva Conventions? If not, it should be.

All the best,

Daryavesh