The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mock Trial of Joseph's Brothers
I watched this after reading last week Parsha and found it quite interesting (and a bit entertaining as well!) as it related to some of my readings.

If you have some spare time, you might enjoy it as well.

What are your verdicts???

This illustrates one of the things I like most about Judaism. Through imaginative midrash and centuries of open-minded debate all manner of interpretations of the sacred text are endorsed and differences of opinion even celebrated. Characters, even Patriarchs and other foundational heros, are well-rounded with flaws and even serious failings. This is so different from fundamentalist Christian approaches to their inerrant scriptures (most of which are the same texts) that constantly constrict questioning and imagination.
Yes, Judaism is very well known for debating, especially with other Jews.

It is one of the prime reasons Israel does so well with medicine and other inventions. They don't just take one person's word for it, they question, question, question and then try to make rational decisions by weighing all sides.

As they say, there are 70 faces of Torah.
(11-29-2021, 09:04 PM)robrecht Wrote: This illustrates one of the things I like most about Judaism. Through imaginative midrash and centuries of open-minded debate all manner of interpretations of the sacred text are endorsed and differences of opinion even celebrated. Characters, even Patriarchs and other foundational heros, are well-rounded with flaws and even serious failings. This is so different from fundamentalist Christian approaches to their inerrant scriptures (most of which are the same texts) that constantly constrict questioning and imagination.
God himself inspired the scriptures,God is real and he's the best guide not human wisdom.job 5:13.
(11-29-2021, 09:04 PM)robrecht Wrote: This illustrates one of the things I like most about Judaism. Through imaginative midrash and centuries of open-minded debate all manner of interpretations of the sacred text are endorsed and differences of opinion even celebrated. Characters, even Patriarchs and other foundational heros, are well-rounded with flaws and even serious failings. This is so different from fundamentalist Christian approaches to their inerrant scriptures (most of which are the same texts) that constantly constrict questioning and imagination.

Hello robrecht,

I don't know who you mean by fundamentalist Christians and if I would fit into that description. Certainly I see the Christian bible as the basis for my faith, so I guess I am one of these.

Do you like to discredit a whole group of people? Even if the tendency may be there, they / we are all different people with individual approaches.

I for my part love the crime-style video above and we have conducted similar legal proceedings with famous Christian figures, too. What I've never seen before and find it a great idea is the completely surprising opening scene.
That was interesting listening to the perspective from the brother's side by defense, although, I thought his interpretation of Joseph's experience was somewhat cavalier. Also interesting was to witness a trial of an ancient time in the modern era.
I watched a few times and changed my mind more than once and landed on the verdict that was given. Guilty only on the charge of kidnapping. Nice share SMR!

I remember while attending a non-denominational Christian church, flaws of the biblical characters were spoken of so as to highlight the mercy of G-d, such as with David.
A testimony to Joseph's ability for forgiveness was his faith in G-d at the end of the story he tells the brothers how they meant it for evil but G-d meant it for good.

I don't believe the fundamentalist personality is exclusive to Christianity. Fundamentalism runs in other religions. There are fundamentalist atheists as well that would like to force their conscience by imposing various punishments against dissenters.
(11-30-2021, 03:22 PM)Dana Wrote: That was interesting listening to the perspective from the brother's side by defense, although, I thought his interpretation of Joseph's experience was somewhat cavalier. Also interesting was to witness a trial of an ancient time in the modern era.
I watched a few times and changed my mind more than once and landed on the verdict that was given. Guilty only on the charge of kidnapping. Nice share SMR!

I remember while attending a non-denominational Christian church, flaws of the biblical characters were spoken of so as to highlight the mercy of G-d, such as with David.
A testimony to Joseph's ability for forgiveness was his faith in G-d at the end of the story he tells the brothers how they meant it for evil but G-d meant it for good.

I don't believe the fundamentalist personality is exclusive to Christianity. Fundamentalism runs in other religions. There are fundamentalist atheists as well that would like to force their conscience by imposing various punishments against dissenters.

Oh Dana, thank you so much for your words! you relax the scene!

I think behind a rigid religious or atheist attitude there is often fear - and a judgmental spirit.

To the video: I thought it was funny that the lawyer said the brothers acted in self-defense. I want him when I'm in trouble.
(11-30-2021, 07:13 AM)Blue Bird Wrote:

Hello robrecht,

I don't know who you mean by fundamentalist Christians and if I would fit into that description. Certainly I see the Christian bible as the basis for my faith, so I guess I am one of these.

Do you like to discredit a whole group of people? Even if the tendency may be there, they / we are all different people with individual approaches.

Of course not. I am not trying to discredit a whole group of people or any individuals, only some approaches to inerrant scriptures that constantly constrict questioning and imagination. If you recognize such a tendency among people you know, perhaps you can encourage a deeper appreciation of the Hebrew scriptures. If not, great, no need.
(11-30-2021, 03:22 PM)Dana Wrote: I don't believe the fundamentalist personality is exclusive to Christianity. Fundamentalism runs in other religions. There are fundamentalist atheists as well that would like to force their conscience by imposing various punishments against dissenters.

Very true. Anti-theist critiques of the Bible sometimes presume that it can only be read in a fundamentalist manner. It's not surprising that they are often reacting to their own fundamentalist upbringing.
(11-30-2021, 05:13 PM)robrecht Wrote:
(11-30-2021, 03:22 PM)Dana Wrote: I don't believe the fundamentalist personality is exclusive to Christianity. Fundamentalism runs in other religions. There are fundamentalist atheists as well that would like to force their conscience by imposing various punishments against dissenters.

Very true. Anti-theist critiques of the Bible sometimes presume that it can only be read in a fundamentalist manner. It's not surprising that they are often reacting to their own fundamentalist upbringing.

I pretty much agree with you there in that the transfer from a fundamentalist religion transforms into a fundamentalist outlook, although maybe not always.

I went through an anti-theist phase after leaving my faith for a spell. My Catholic and Protestant religious background weren't all that fundamentalist. The concept of an afterlife was more than I could stomach, especially among some rather unpleasant people I would rather not be around. The Christian concept of forgiveness is pretty absolute, and the thought of forever too much.   I'm more or less agnostic now with a real appreciation for Judaism and Hebrew. Hebrew set me free from some of the more, for me, destructive beliefs.