The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is Isaac?
Who is a man? Son of... father of... Son of Abraham and father of Jacob and Esau. He was always dealt with. He was the subject of Abrahams test. His wife was chosen for him. He was betrayed by his wife and son and blessed the false son. Poor man.

Is it possible that he was so deeply affected by the knife he saw above him in his father's hands that he didn't develop his full personality? I don't read much about him in the bible.

How was he, what did he do?
I've been meaning to reply to this for some time but wanted to do a little studying first.

So not too much is written about his life, but what is written is what is important.

He was technically the first born Hebrew.

He was the first one to be circumcised on the day G-d commanded for all future Hebrew children, the 8th day.

He seemed to obey his fathers instructions when going to be offered without much fuss. I guess there was some kind of love/trust for his father.

Yes his wife was chosen for him. But I might argue since he was the first born Hebrew, he may have needed some "divine assistance". Looks like he did love Rebecca.

They were childless for many years, prayed and then conceived twins, Jacob and Esau.

When there was a famine, Isaac was going to leave for Egypt but stayed within the borders of Canaan as it and he were holy.

When he arrived in Gerar, he tried to fool the people there as to who Rebecca was, saying it was his sister (like his father did previously). He was eventually exposed, but also given protection by the King.

It is said he prospered which bred envy, so he left for another part of Gerar. There he had an issue with the digging of some wells that didn't go well in the beginning. But eventually things worked out for the 3rd one.

I'm not sure if he was "betrayed" by his wife and son, I think he may have been fooled. But he did make up for it by blessing Esau as well. Why do you think Jacob a "false" son?

Isaac is credited by our sages as instituting the afternoon prayer as it is written - "And Isaac went forth to pray in the field towards evening.”

So to summarize, I see Isaac as a strong person who doesn't give up and tries to do what is right for he and his family (making adjustments and corrections as needed.)
Very interesting, thanks! I didn't realize that Isaac went out to meditate in the field at night and that he was the first to be circumcised on the 8th day.

Maybe he trusted his father as he saw his eyes, too. I'm sure there were tears, no anger or rejection.

I thought the first Hebrews were Jacob's sons. Jacob continued Abrahams blessing but Esau didn't. He was expelled from the history of the Hebrews, if you will. Jacob's children weren't perfect either and made mistakes. But they were still in the family and in the line of blessing.

How is Isaac a Hebrew and his son Esau isn't and Jacob is?

Why do I think that Jacob was the false son? Of course I don't think he was the false son. But he was the second in line to be blessed, and his father definitely wanted to bless Esau.
Didn't HaShem reveal to Rebecca while she was pregnant that the twins represented two nations that would come to be separated with the elder serving the younger?
According to commentary she was not authorized to reveal the prophecy to Isaac while noting she understood the rise of one would result in the fall of the other - "so that any plan Isaac might have to enlist them in joint service of G-d could not succeed."  

Jacob's blessing from Isaac may have been on his mind when many years later he gave the blessings to his grandsons, giving the greater blessing to the younger Ephraim. Why did he not choose the eldest son?  I don't think we can ever know what is in another persons mind but I wonder if he was not thinking back to when he received his blessing and this may have influenced his later decision.  With Esau there is a mention of a character fault but not so with Mannaseh, nor was he said to be envious of his brother receiving the greater blessing.
Yes, it's amazing how things repeat themselves. I also thought of Sarah and Rebecca. Neither could have children until a miracle happened.