The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chabad-Lubavitch Names
I was curious to learn what the most popular names are in the world-wide Chabad-Lubavitch community. So I took a sampling of 8,680 names from Chabad engagement and birth announcements.

The names below represent the top ten names for males and females in the Chabad-Lubavitch community, exactly as they appear in English transliteration. Transliterations obviously vary ("Chani" and "Chanie," or "Sara" and "Sarah," for example). The frequency of each name variant represents the personal preferences of those who made their engagement or birth announcements. The frequency percentage (in parentheses) for each name below is calculated from the total of the sampling that I used.

I present this data for anyone who shares an interest in names and naming.

MALE:

1. Mendy (7%): A hypocorism of the Yiddish name Mendel, which is itself a hypocorism of the Hebrew name Menachem (see below).

2. Levi (6%): A Hebrew name, meaning "joined; attached."

3. Mendel (5%): A Yiddish hypocorism of the Hebrew name Menachem (see below).

4. Yossi (4%): A hypocorism of the Hebrew name Yosef (Joseph), meaning "the Lord will add."

5. Chaim (3%): Hebrew, meaning "life; living; alive."

6. Dovid (2%): A variant of the Hebrew name David, meaning "a friend; beloved."

7. Menachem (2%): Hebrew, meaning "comforter; to comfort." The popularity of the name Menachem (and its variations) is due to honoring Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson (1902-1994), the much-beloved spiritual leader of the Chabad-Lubavitch movement. "Menachem Mendel" is a popular combination name.

8. Sholom (2%): Hebrew, meaning "peace."

9. Eli (2%): Hebrew, meaning "my God." Eli can be a diminutive of many Hebrew names such as Eliyahu ("my God is Lord"), Eliezer ("my God helps"), and Elimelech ("my God is king").

10. Yisroel (2%): Hebrew, meaning "nobly contended with God and prevailed." The name that the Biblical Yaakov took for himself after he wrestled with an angel of God.

FEMALE:

1. Chaya (9%): Hebrew, meaning "life; living."

2. Chana (4%): Hebrew, meaning "gracious; graceful."

3. Mushky (4%): A hypocorism of the Yiddish name Mushka (see below).

4. Chani (2%): A hypocorism of Chana (see above).

5. Devorah (2%): Hebrew, meaning "a bee."

6. Mushka (2%): A name derived from the Yiddish word מושקאט, meaning "nutmeg." The popularity of the name Mushka (and its variations) is due to honoring Chaya Mushka Schneersohn (1901-1988), the wife of Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneersohn. "Chaya Mushka" is a popular combination name.

7, Chanie (2%): A variant of Chani, which is a hypocorism of Chana (see above).

8. Sara (2%): Hebrew, meaning "ruler; chieftainess; princess."

9. Rochel (2%): A variant of the Hebrew name Rachel, meaning "a ewe."

10. Nechama (2%): Hebrew, meaning "comfort; rest from anguish."
Heart !לחיים

(01-28-2019, 07:32 PM)Channalee Wrote: 10. Yisroel (2%): Hebrew, meaning "nobly contended with God and prevailed." The name that the Biblical Yaakov took for himself after he wrestled with an angel of God.

Actually, he was assigned the name, and both the name and the nature of the wrestler are the subject of a fair amount of debate (probably better suited to the Hebrew Language Forum).
To be is to stand for. - Abraham Joshua Heschel
Every Chabad family I know has one Chaya Mushka and one Menachem Mendel. I always wondered if this causes confusion when they take roll call somewhere, lol.
(01-28-2019, 08:23 PM)Chavak Wrote: Every Chabad family I know has one Chaya Mushka and one Menachem Mendel. I always wondered if this causes confusion when they take roll call somewhere, lol.

LOL!

I love this story about the town where the popular name for boys is Baruch Moshe, and the popular name for girls is Brachah Leah:

The Popular Names of the Town’s Kids, from the writings & talks of Rabbi Yosef Yitzchak of Lubavitch
Heart !לחיים