The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Judaism: Choosing a Hebrew Name
Shalom everyone!

So, I've been studying on and off with a rabbi in my city and I'm thinking about possibly going through with conversion to Judaism. That being said, I know I'd be really excited to choose a Hebrew name for myself. Nothing is set in stone at the moment, but just to put my own mind at ease, I thought I'd ask a question here.

When selecting a Hebrew name as a convert to Judaism, do I have to pick only one name, or can I pick two at the same time? I was thinking I could put two names together to be referred to as "Rivka Esther" instead of just "Rivka". I just like the sound of both those names put together. And I know that I could probably just ask my rabbi about this, but I thought I'd also ask strangers over the internet for fun too.

Thoughts?
I just put phrase a Jewish Convert chossing a Hebrew name on Internet search engine ..here is responce
https://www.aju.edu/miller-intro-judaism...ebrew-name
(03-09-2022, 08:45 PM)Polaris Wrote: When selecting a Hebrew name as a convert to Judaism, do I have to pick only one name, or can I pick two at the same time? I was thinking I could put two names together to be referred to as "Rivka Esther" instead of just "Rivka". I just like the sound of both those names put together. And I know that I could probably just ask my rabbi about this, but I thought I'd also ask strangers over the internet for fun too.

If you are studying with someone you identify as “my rabbi” I would expect that you would make use of the resource. That said, there is nothing prohibiting you from choosing two Hebrew names, a first and a middle, if and when you choose to convert.

Oh, before you ask, yes I am a rabbi.
בקש שלום ורדפהו
@LAsttime and @RabbiO Thank you both for your responses. Not to worry, I'll ask my rabbi about this question when the time is appropriate. I just wanted to ask it here for fun and also to contribute something to the message boards. Technically speaking, any questions I post could probably be found elsewhere online or by asking my local rabbi, which kind of defeats the purpose of asking questions on here to begin with. Even still, the point is taken that asking relevant sources would best be done as opposed to asking random people on the internet. Smile
Not being sure of the following name being Hebrew or not, given that the following artist's family has returned from Yemen, I'll chance suggesting Ofra:

Did you know that Esther's Hebrew name was הֲדַסָּה Hadassah?
Thanks glad to be of help
Thanks for asking Polaris and contributing to the forum!

Hope to see more of your posts!