The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cohen as a first name
I am wondering if the name Cohen as a first name is offensive to anyone and if so, why?
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know, the first posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots.

Personally, I don't see why it would be offensive, why do you think it may be?
I'm also wondering if Cohen can be used as a first name for everyone. I thought Cohen was a Jewish priest descended from Levi.
Yes, a "kohen" is a singular form of kohanim he priests who once served in the Temple of Jerusalem, Aaron being the first.

Here is a article one might find interesting that relates to the question -

https://www.kveller.com/whats-the-deal-w...irst-name/
' Wrote:...it will be fascinating to see how these young Cohens will grow up viewing their name in the coming years...
It would depend on if this name becomes a target or not. Ultimately, a parent bears the responsibility of acting in the child's best interests. Naming a child Cohen or Khan would have been perhaps suitable, centuries ago. In modern times when people now travel to all corners of the Earth, especially members of that "Religion of Peace" Dodgy , naming a child an obviously Jewish first name could very well initiate the first step in the direction of emigrating either to Israel or to a more Jew-friendly environment, unless that child's last name would be documented the likes of Johanssen or Postelthwaite.
(03-13-2022, 06:43 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Yes, a "kohen" is a singular form of kohanim he priests who once served in the Temple of Jerusalem, Aaron being the first.

Thanks for the link. It's really interesting to read about Cohen as a first name from a "name nerd".
(03-14-2022, 04:15 PM)Blue Bird Wrote:
(03-13-2022, 06:43 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Yes, a "kohen" is a singular form of kohanim he priests who once served in the Temple of Jerusalem, Aaron being the first.

Thanks for the link. It's really interesting to read about Cohen as a first name from a "name nerd".

Ha!

Well there are some people out there that really dive deep into this kind of stuff!
I don't think it's offensive, but I do think it's weird. Why would someone want to use it as a first name?
(03-15-2022, 05:25 PM)Chavak Wrote: I don't think it's offensive, but I do think it's weird. Why would someone want to use it as a first name?

Good question!

But I've seen some stranger ones than that!

Some of the names the Hollywood stars give their children are pretty strange!
Frank Zappa named his kids Dweezil and Moon Unit.