The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General: Translating the name of HASHEM into English
Brick 
Hello fellow servants of HASHEM!

I have a question; is it considered blasphemy to translate the name of HASHEM into English? I know that hashem means "the name," but I'm talking about the actual name of the unmentionable.

Thank you.
"Learn to do good; seek justice, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow."
Isaiah 1:17
Hello James and welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know, the first 3 posts are moderated to keep out spam and bots.

I'm not sure there is a translation for YHWH, maybe someone else here can chime in.
(06-23-2019, 11:11 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Hello James and welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know, the first 3 posts are moderated to keep out spam and bots.

I'm not sure there is a translation for YHWH, maybe someone else here can chime in.

According to the NAS Exhaustive Concordance, the root of HASHEM comes from the root verb hava' which means "to be, to exist." According to Strong's Exhaustive Concordance, the root of HASHEM comes from the root verb hayah which also means "to be, to exist." Both of these roots are similar, however I think that HASHEM's name comes from the root hayah. So if HASHEM is a proper noun, and you take the verb "to exist" and transform it into a noun, you get the word EXISTENCE. Perhaps HASHEM's name means "EXISTENCE." It would make sense since HASHEM is all that there is.

I just want to make sure that I don't blaspheme HASHEM. I have a feeling I'm not because I'm not actually saying His true name. Perhaps there is a loop hole here.

I think that it is important to know what HASHEM means because it gives clue to what His being is like.
"Learn to do good; seek justice, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow."
(06-23-2019, 11:00 PM)James the Servant Wrote: Hello fellow servants of HASHEM!

(fka avodei hashem)

(06-23-2019, 11:00 PM)James the Servant Wrote: I have a question; is it considered blasphemy to translate the name of HASHEM into English?

In my opinion, transliterating the Coptic into Bohairic is less presumptuous, but others will no doubt disagree.
To be is to stand for. - Abraham Joshua Heschel
Well there are translations of the tetragramation (yud hey vav hey) in English, but there is no authoritative pronunciation, because there hasn't been a reason to pronounce it since the destruction of the first temple and so it has not been kept in Jewsh tradition. Because to render it in English you would need the actual vowels, English translations vary. The most popular Anglicized name is used by the -- Witnesses who consider it very important to use that name (despite it never occurring or being even implied in the Greek testament). But it is probably wrong so I've heard some Jews say it's OK to use that name because it's not possibly correct.

Some of this is on:
http://www.jewfaq.org/name.htm
(06-26-2019, 06:19 PM)Harachaman Wrote: Well there are translations of the tetragramation (yud hey vav hey) in English, but there is no authoritative pronunciation, because there hasn't been a reason to pronounce it since the destruction of the first temple and so it has not been kept in Jewsh tradition. Because to render it in English you would need the actual vowels, English translations vary. The most popular Anglicized name is used by the -- Witnesses who consider it very important to use that name (despite it never occurring or being even implied in the Greek testament). But it is probably wrong so I've heard some Jews say it's OK to use that name because it's not possibly correct.

1) You can say "Jehovah". There is no reason not to. It is not a name of G-d.

2) Are you possibly confusing translation with transliteration?

3) Welcome to the forum.

4) In case you are wondering - some people do ask because of my screen name - yes, I am.
בקש שלום ורדפהו
Quote:1) You can say "Jehovah". There is no reason not to. It is not a name of G-d.

2) Are you possibly confusing translation with transliteration?

3) Welcome to the forum.

4) In case you are wondering - some people do ask because of my screen name - yes, I am.

1. Jehovah is a strange name and I dont like it and never use it. It means "destroyer."
2. No, I am not. I want to translate the name of G-d into English.
3. Thank you Rabbi! It is a pleasure to meet you all! ?
4. I assumed you really were a rabbi. It is nice to know that you are so I can be sure my answer comes from an expert.

Rabbi, is it ok if I call HASHEM "EXISTENCE?"
(06-26-2019, 06:19 PM)Harachaman Wrote: Well there are translations of the tetragramation (yud hey vav hey) in English, but there is no authoritative pronunciation, because there hasn't been a reason to pronounce it since the destruction of the first temple and so it has not been kept in Jewsh tradition. Because to render it in English you would need the actual vowels, English translations vary. The most popular Anglicized name is used by the -- Witnesses who consider it very important to use that name (despite it never occurring or being even implied in the Greek testament). But it is probably wrong so I've heard some Jews say it's OK to use that name because it's not possibly correct.

Some of this is on:
http://www.jewfaq.org/name.htm

Thank you sir for your response. I am not interested in the pronunciation of HASHEM as I am not even qualified to mention His name.

What I am interested in is what does HASHEM mean in English?

For example, the name Jacob means, "Supplanter."
I'm not sure there is a translation at all.

Sorry to keep posting links to other sites, but sometimes they can explain things better than I can.

For instance - https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article...grammaton/
(06-28-2019, 02:18 AM)searchinmyroots Wrote: I'm not sure there is a translation at all.

Sorry to keep posting links to other sites, but sometimes they can explain things better than I can.

For instance - https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article...grammaton/

No need for apologies.

This quote from the article helped answer my question:

"The four letters of the Tetragrammaton form the root meaning 'to be,' and some have understood the original meaning to be 'He-Who-Is,' or 'He who brings being into being.'"

Thanks.