The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
G-d in Judaism
What is G-d most loved for in Judaism? 

And I have a second question: How does one know that he / she is fulfilling the command "You shall love G-d with all your heart". This seems a lot more challenging than following a specific rule which is easier to measure.
Shouldn't that be an individual question? Each person would have their own opinion on what they most love God for, no?
(03-12-2021, 07:23 PM)Jason Wrote: Shouldn't that be an individual question? Each person would have their own opinion on what they most love God for, no?

I think you are right.
(03-12-2021, 07:23 PM)Jason Wrote: Shouldn't that be an individual question? Each person would have their own opinion on what they most love God for, no?

Yes it is an individual question. I was afraid to ask: What makes you love G-d the most? so I kept the question more general.

To the second question: The request to love G-d seems to be an important thing in the bible. I would like to know if there are any texts or thoughts on how one can know if he or she meets that.
(03-13-2021, 10:37 AM)Blue Bird Wrote: I would like to know if there are any texts or thoughts on how one can know if he or she meets that.

A text that will tell you whether or not you are meeting the injunction to love God. Something from the Christian Scriptures comes to mind:

1 John 5:3
αὕτη γάρ ἐστιν ἡ ἀγάπη τοῦ θεοῦ ἵνα τὰς ἐντολὰς αὐτοῦ τηρῶμεν, καὶ αἱ ἐντολαὶ αὐτοῦ βαρεῖαι οὐκ εἰσίν.
For this is love for God: that we keep his commandments, and his commandments are not burdensome.

Are you asking for something like that?

I cannot understand what the motivation for this might be. We are told to respect our parents. Do we need a text that tells us whether or not we honor our parents? Will a text tell us whether or not we provide for our children? What is the intention behind this question? I just don't get it.
(03-11-2021, 09:38 PM)Blue Bird Wrote: What is G-d most loved for in Judaism? 

And I have a second question: How does one know that he / she is fulfilling the command "You shall love G-d with all your heart". This seems a lot more challenging than following a specific rule which is easier to measure.

I'll chime in here.

Obviously it is my personal reply and does not represent all of Judaism.

I wouldn't pinpoint one thing that G-d is most loved for.

I would say He is loved for everything as He is the Creator and Provider for everything as we know it.

Second question is a little more complicated, more to follow....................
(03-14-2021, 02:22 AM)searchinmyroots Wrote: I'll chime in here.

Obviously it is my personal reply and does not represent all of Judaism.

I wouldn't pinpoint one thing that G-d is most loved for.

I would say He is loved for everything as He is the Creator and Provider for everything as we know it.

Second question is a little more complicated, more to follow....................

He is loved for beeing the Creator and Provider for everything. Thank you!

I'm looking forward to your answer to the second question.
Second question: I think that by his/her actions.
(03-18-2021, 08:54 PM)Ismq Wrote: Second question: I think that by his/her actions.

If someone sais he or she loves G-d and steals or isn't caring for the relatives there might be something wrong. On the other hand, if someone is friendly and nice, that doesn't mean automatically that he or she loves G-d.

"And thou shalt love the Lord thy G-d with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might."
(Deuteronomy 6:5)

Because love doesn't mean much today, I thought there might be some (old) Jewish texts about it, especially in the relationship between G-d and men.
Would it help if I pointed out that to the ancient Israelites the heart was not the seat of human emotion?

Would it help if I pointed out that one needs to understand what the word “love” meant in the covenantal - suzerainty - treaties back in the day?
בקש שלום ורדפהו