The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "fragment" - Line: 1492 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 1492 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 1638 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP] postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 513 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 228 postParser->parse_mycode
/inc/functions_post.php 817 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1585 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1585 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key "fragment" - Line: 1492 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1492 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1585 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1585 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me to understand my ancestors
No. Not that I haven't tried to. I love Dutch, Flemish and Danish architechture. The Germans living below the Elbe river don't like learning from their neighboring countries. That's why buildings are ugly here.
I live near where you grew up at, not far from the border with Switzerland.
(07-14-2021, 08:12 AM)Alan_Boskov Wrote: No. Not that I haven't tried to. I love Dutch, Flemish and Danish architechture. The Germans living below the Elbe river don't like learning from their neighboring countries. That's why buildings are ugly here.
I live near where you grew up at, not far from the border with Switzerland.

Sometimes I miss the landscape there, just beautiful. You don't like the architecture, but hopefully you enjoy the mountains, the vineyards and the view of the Rhine plain.
Each time I approach the Rhine, my first though is about how to permanently stay on the other side. The Swiss are allowed to have expendable income, whereas somebody here on my side continually tries reaching into my pocket. If you don't have some sort of legal costs insurance here, someone will always try taking advantage of you.
I have my balcony on the southern side of which I use as a tanning studio. In other words, this isn't my home. But rather, my hotel room.
(07-13-2021, 07:38 AM)Blue Bird Wrote: I know about Karlsruhe. It's scary. Look at San Francisco, 70 percent of the residents say that conditions have decreased...

I would more likely equate San Francisco with Freiburg. It's unbelievable as to what types are attracted to that place. One of their local radio stations used to claim that Freiburg was Germany's California. It brings to memory the following video clip Big Grin :

(08-03-2021, 07:46 AM)Alan_Boskov Wrote:
(07-13-2021, 07:38 AM)Blue Bird Wrote: I know about Karlsruhe. It's scary. Look at San Francisco, 70 percent of the residents say that conditions have decreased...

I would more likely equate San Francisco with Freiburg. It's unbelievable as to what types are attracted to that place. One of their local radio stations used to claim that Freiburg was Germany's California. It brings to memory the following video clip Big Grin :

WHAT?! 

I can't follow you. Freiburg and San Francisco are as different as they can be. 

What about the video, isn't it a little out of context?
That's only because Woody didn't spend Christmas in San Francisco. Nowadays, Los Angeles isn't that far behind San Francisco, in terms of weirdness.
Could you name any German city of which is even more socio-politically close to San Francisco than Freiburg is, on a per capita basis? Your answer might be Berlin. But, before you answer, let me remind you that the entire Berlin area is much more diverse than Freiburg is.
(08-03-2021, 04:32 PM)Alan_Boskov Wrote: That's only because Woody didn't spend Christmas in San Francisco. Nowadays, Los Angeles isn't that far behind  San Francisco, in terms of weirdness.
Could you name any German city of which is even more socio-politically close to San Francisco than Freiburg is, on a per capita basis? Your answer might be Berlin. But, before you answer, let me remind you that the entire Berlin area is much more diverse than Freiburg is.

Ah ok. Yes LA, San Francisco... these big cities. I can't keep up with you in terms of social-politics. It's incomprehensible to me how you can get these huge crowds under one roof.   Huh

So I'm happy if it somehow works.
This is what I get, when I attemp replying to your PM:

Huh
(06-23-2021, 06:51 AM)Alan_Boskov Wrote: On these documents, Simon Karpa is listed as #159. Marked with pink are his descendants, also not documented with dates of any kind...

That Holocaust Center in Skopje is taking its time replying to my question.
Nevertheless, I was able to confirm that my great great grandfather migrated through northeast Europe: https://yvng.yadvashem.org/index.html?language=en&s_id=&s_lastName=Karpa&s_firstName=&s_place=&s_dateOfBirth=&cluster=true 
Ruling out any Romaniote lineage will at least not make research even more difficult than it already is.
I wonder if the Yashiva University could and would be helpfull?