The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where should I go?
Thanks for the update Chava!

Yes, been to those areas in Texas many, many times. It is strange weather there that can turn 30-40 degrees in either direction very quickly. The summer heat is blistering but as they say, "it's a dry heat".

Well, when I was there once and it was well over 100 degrees, I understood what it meant when they say you can fry an egg on your head!

I'm sure you'll find some other places that might be a bit more comfortable!!
(05-31-2023, 10:41 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Thanks for the update Chava!

Yes, been to those areas in Texas many, many times. It is strange weather there that can turn 30-40 degrees in either direction very quickly. The summer heat is blistering but as they say, "it's a dry heat".

Well, when I was there once and it was well over 100 degrees, I understood what it meant when they say you can fry an egg on your head!

I'm sure you'll find some other places that might be a bit more comfortable!!

I was born and raised in Germany, actually in Eretz Ashkenaz, which means, I was not really used to hot climates.  I now live in SW Florida, and I got pretty much used to heat and humidity.  The human body can adapt to almost any climate, I think.
Once in a while i contemplate to do Aliyah to Israel, and would have to get used to the cooler temperatures there.  I was in Tel Aviv for a while in the early 80s, and it is sure cooler there that it is here in Florida.

Linde
Dr. Linde XXX
Yes, Florida can get really hot and humid!!

But it rarely gets very cold like Texas does every once in awhile.

Glad your body adapted well!
(06-01-2023, 10:55 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Yes, Florida can get really hot and humid!!

But it rarely gets very cold like Texas does every once in awhile.

Glad your body adapted well!

Texas can get really extreme.  My sister in law lives outside of Austin, and she dislikes the weather there a lot.

Southern Florida is tropical, and we never see anything close to freezing temperatures.

Linde
Dr. Linde XXX
Hello from Spain. Was in Portugal earlier. Both are beautiful countries with rich histories.
How about a detour here?

https://jguideeurope.org/en/region/germa...ia/speyer/

There is also a great technology museum.

https://speyer.technik-museum.de/en/exhibition

I would like to invite you for a cup of coffee then :-).
(06-18-2023, 11:31 AM)Blue Bird Wrote: How about a detour here?

https://jguideeurope.org/en/region/germa...ia/speyer/

There is also a great technology museum.

https://speyer.technik-museum.de/en/exhibition

Is the Jewish community in Speyer  a community of German Jews, or was it restarted again by Jewish emigrants from Russia? I am from Mönchengladbach, and most of the local Jews there were part of my extended family.  The only survivors were my mom, my sister and I.  I am living in the US now, but I found out that the new Jewish community there was established by Russian emigrants, who do not speak the rheinisch Jiddisch, but the heavily Slavic influenced Yiddish typical for eastern European Jews.
I am contemplating to go back to Germany, because I want to be buried next to my maternal grandfather, whose grave is the only one of my family that was not destroyed back then.

If I move back, I will visit you in Speyer cause that is not that far away from my hometown.

Linde
Dr. Linde XXX
They speak Russian. Recently, many Ukrainians have also come here. Of course, their young people speak German, but they often move away, for example to Frankfurt.

Yes, tell me when you are coming to Germany and we can go to a restaurant. I live west of Speyer in the mountains.
(06-18-2023, 08:46 PM)Blue Bird Wrote: They speak Russian. Recently, many Ukrainians have also come here. Of course, their young people speak German, but they often move away, for example to Frankfurt.

Yes, tell me when you are coming to Germany and we can go to a restaurant. I live west of Speyer in the mountains.

I think most of the Jews from the east are rather orthodox (at least the Jüdische Gemeinde in Mönchengladbach is), and I go to a reform Synagogue here in the US.  I am afraid I might not fit in with them well.  I live Kosher only because I am a Vegetariern, and it is hard to not live Kosher on vegies and fruits only.
Dr. Linde XXX
The lady I traveled to Spain and Portugal with is also Jewish. We both felt the same...the tours go through the old Jewish quarters in several cities. But there is nothing Jewish left...just where Jews used to be. It's sad