The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free lecture in NYC
Bari Weiss will be speaking in NYC (Feb. 25th at 7pm) on "How to Fight Anti-Semitism." I first heard her speak when she was an interview guest on Bill Maher's Real Time series. Admission is free, but you have to register in advance. If anyone here plans to go and wants to meet up after the lecture with my man and me (and possibly some other friends) for drinks and conversation, send me a private message, and I'll send you the link to register.

Please Note: Video posted below is not intended to start any kind of political discussion in this topic. I've posted it so that anyone interested can see who Bari Weiss is and decide for themselves whether attending her speaking engagement is something that they would be interested in.

Heart !לחיים

For those who are unable to get to NYC this month, the 92Y posted the video of Bari Weiss & Deborah Lipstadt from earlier this week. I haven't watched it yet but I plan to get to it later tonight or tomorrow. If I should have made a new post for this, please move it. I couldn't decide.

(02-13-2019, 11:48 PM)Dena Wrote: For those who are unable to get to NYC this month, the 92Y posted the video of Bari Weiss & Deborah Lipstadt from earlier this week. I haven't watched it yet but I plan to get to it later tonight or tomorrow. If I should have made a new post for this, please move it. I couldn't decide.

I'm about halfway through this video right now, and had to pause it in order to give you a quick "thank you!" for posting this, Dena.  Deborah Lipstadt is absolutely riveting.  I've been jotting down her quotes while I'm watching this.

"The minute you hear the money thing, bells should go off."

"The one place the far left and far right meet is in the hatred of Jews." (DL quoting her former professor)

"I think that one of the things we have to do is show people the idiocy and the danger of antisemitism."

Professor Lipstadt also brought up the conspiracy theory thing, which was mentioned by Bari during her interview with Bill Maher.  That antisemites thrive on conspiracy theories.

I'm going back to watch the rest of this now.  Great interview!

Edited for additional:

I just finished watching the rest of this video.  What an amazing and inspiring woman Deborah Lipstadt is!  I just bought the Kindle edition of her new book:  Antisemitism: Here and Now.

There is so much I'd love to talk about, regarding this video.  Dena, if you get the chance to watch it tonight, please share your thoughts!   That goes for everyone, as well.  Please watch (if you're inclined) and share your thoughts.
Heart !לחיים

(02-13-2019, 11:48 PM)Dena Wrote: For those who are unable to get to NYC this month, the 92Y posted the video of Bari Weiss & Deborah Lipstadt from earlier this week. I haven't watched it yet but I plan to get to it later tonight or tomorrow. If I should have made a new post for this, please move it. I couldn't decide.

This was a fantastic listen. Thanks!
(02-14-2019, 02:42 AM)Channalee Wrote: I just finished watching the rest of this video.  What an amazing and inspiring woman Deborah Lipstadt is!  I just bought the Kindle edition of her new book:  Antisemitism: Here and Now.

There is so much I'd love to talk about, regarding this video.  Dena, if you get the chance to watch it tonight, please share your thoughts!   That goes for everyone, as well.  Please watch (if you're inclined) and share your thoughts.

I put the book on hold at my library before it came out but I wasn't first in line, so I am still waiting. I watched the video. I think her herpes comment, though a little gross, is accurate. The part about the right and left meeting in their hatred of Jews, also accurate. I have heard it referred to as the horseshoe of antisemitism.

They talk about being the skunk at the garden party but I thought, how can we be the skunk with people who genuinely have no idea what they are saying/supporting, without embarrassing or alienating them? Those are the people I am more likely to encounter in my life. For example, I recently went to see Fiddler on the Roof with a friend who didn't know Jews have often been expelled from their homes. She knows nothing of antisemitism. Another friend made a comment about Jews being good with money and she meant it as a compliment, contrasted with her own personal financial irresponsibly. I want to speak freely but also not hurt their feelings. Like, how do you bring up the topic with the guy in the Corbyn shirt without making him feel stupid in front of everyone?
(02-14-2019, 09:19 PM)Dena Wrote: They talk about being the skunk at the garden party but I thought, how can we be the skunk with people who genuinely have no idea what they are saying/supporting, without embarrassing or alienating them? Those are the people I am more likely to encounter in my life. For example, I recently went to see Fiddler on the Roof with a friend who didn't know Jews have often been expelled from their homes. She knows nothing of antisemitism. Another friend made a comment about Jews being good with money and she meant it as a compliment, contrasted with her own personal financial irresponsibly. I want to speak freely but also not hurt their feelings. Like, how do you bring up the topic with the guy in the Corbyn shirt without making him feel stupid in front of everyone?

I think the surest way to distinguish between benign ignorance and malice is in the person's reaction to your gentle words explaining what's wrong with what they have just said or done – especially if spoken quietly, without intention of embarrassing that person in front of others.

The benignly ignorant person will listen to what you have to say, give it consideration, and genuinely feel bad that they might have said or done something hurtful to you.  The malicious person will get defensive, take umbrage over what you have to say, and attack you for it.

I don't mind alienating a malicious person.  He's already made up his mind, and there's nothing you can say that's going to change it.
Heart !לחיים

(02-14-2019, 02:42 AM)Channalee Wrote: I don't mind alienating a malicious person. 

Me either. I just don't tend to come across those people. When are you going to start the book?
(02-14-2019, 10:20 PM)Dena Wrote: When are you going to start the book?

I'm reading Mira Grant's Feed, right now (for entertainment).  I'll be done with it soon, though.
Heart !לחיים

I watched the Bari Weiss & Deborah Lipstadt interview, and thought is was very good.

Thanks for posting !