The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesus and the Talmud
I asked the man on the Christian forum what he was referring to when he said that Jesus is mentioned in the Talmud under the code name "Baalam". As I said, I have not even seen or read a Talmud and have nothing to add to the discussion.

This man cannot find the book by the Jewish religious scholar Paul Schäfer from which he draws his allegations. Instead, he replied that there was a lot of hatred for Jesus among the Jewish population. That wasn't my question and I asked him again to show me the text in the Talmud to which he was referring.

Since the Talmud is so difficult to read and understand, and the Christians I know have no or preconceived notions, I am content to leave this question unanswered.

However, when I do get the codename text in the Talmud I would like to post it here and see if there might be an answer.
"Jewish religious scholar Paul Schäfer"???

Where is the evidence of this man being a Jewish Religious scholar?

Who is he, never heard of him?

Here is an article that might answer your question, click on "Balaam" -

https://www.jewsforjudaism.org/knowledge...ud/#balaam
I think he mistakenly remembered Paul Schäfer and meant Peter Schäfer:

Jesus in the Talmud: Schäfer, Peter: 9780691143187: Amazon.com: Books

Thanks for your link, that's a very good article. I believe it was in the second video you posted where the Rabbi said - if I understand correctly - that the stories of Jesus could have been placed at different points in the chronological order due to censorship and persecution.

Jews for Judaism isn't proclaiming Christianity.....they have no reason to change the meaning of the Talmud in favor of Christianity. So the article seems credible to me.
Blue Bird,

Okay, thanks for the correction.

I looked him up and his Wiki page says - Schäfer is Catholic.

So I don't really think he is a "Jewish Religious Scholar".

Although Wiki is not always correct.

Yes, I thought the article was good as well!
Good point. I found an article about Peter Schäfer in the Berliner Morgenpost. He's not a Jew. It is not clear if he was Catholic, it is only said that he grew up in a Catholic environment.

What a strange world. I'm relieved that things aren't what they seemed. Thanks for your help.
There's something about the second video I wanted to say about Joseph, the adoptive father of Jesus. Rabbi Singer suggests that Joseph was probably not Mary's husband but was invented later. As evidence he says that Joseph does not appear in the earliest source, the Gospel of Mark.

Here is the timeline of Jesus' crucifixion and then the Gospels:

crucifixion: 30-35
Gospel according to Mark: around 65
Matthew's Gospel that mentions Joseph: around 70

Mark is a very short gospel, the shortest of all, beginning with the public appearance when Jesus was an adult. It's kind of a staccato narration. It was written 30 years after the life of Jesus. The gospel that tells about Joseph was written 5 years later. So I don't think that could be an argument that Joseph wasn't Mary's husband. Mattew, Luke, and John all write about Josef.

I've been thinking about this for a while and whether or not to say this, but I think it's important.