The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The fullfillment of the Old Testament
(07-25-2023, 08:24 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote:
(07-25-2023, 07:17 PM)Blue Bird Wrote: But that doesn't change what the Christian bible says or teaches about the Hebrew bible.

It can't be so bad. Iranians and Arabs who didn't like the Hebrew bible (and her people) too much changed their minds when they became Christians.

The old saying is -

If it's good, it's not new.

If it's new, it's not good.

I would think you might say the same about the Christian bible and some of the groups that came after such as the Mormons, Latter Day Saints, Jehovah Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists and so on?

Sometimes this saying might accidently be true. I don't think there is great wisdom in it. What does your Hebrew Bible recommend?

"Sing to the Lord a NEW song, sing to the Lord, all the earth!" (Psalms 96,1)

There was even a time when the covenant at Mount Sinai was new. So according to this old saying it was only good after hundreds of years.

Now I remember how I knew about the Brooklin Tabernacle. I have a CD of their wonderful music.

Isn't RabbiO one of the old members (old in membership of course)?
(07-25-2023, 09:16 PM)Blue Bird Wrote:
(07-25-2023, 08:24 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote:
(07-25-2023, 07:17 PM)Blue Bird Wrote: But that doesn't change what the Christian bible says or teaches about the Hebrew bible.

It can't be so bad. Iranians and Arabs who didn't like the Hebrew bible (and her people) too much changed their minds when they became Christians.

The old saying is -

If it's good, it's not new.

If it's new, it's not good.

I would think you might say the same about the Christian bible and some of the groups that came after such as the Mormons, Latter Day Saints, Jehovah Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists and so on?

Sometimes this saying might accidently be true. I don't think there is great wisdom in it. What does your Hebrew Bible recommend?

"Sing to the Lord a NEW song, sing to the Lord, all the earth!" (Psalms 96,1)

There was even a time when the covenant at Mount Sinai was new. So according to this old saying it was only good after hundreds of years.

Now I remember how I knew about the Brooklin Tabernacle. I have a CD of their wonderful music.

Wasn't RabbiO one of the old members (old in membership of course)?

Blue Bird,

Yes, sing a new song, nothing wrong with that.

But don't add or subtract to G-d's word. You can build fences around it to help keep it, but don't change it.

I'm a bit taken back by what you say about the covenant at Mt. Sinai (unless I'm misunderstanding you). That covenant is still in effect. Don't you think the 10 commandments (statements literally) are still in effect?

King David mentions it over and over how it is better than gold, a light to our path and so on. The new covenant is just a renewal of the original, you don't agree? It says He will put His law (the original covenant) in our hearts and that everyone will know it.

So the law didn't change, what changed is how we will know it. Not by teaching, but by our inner selves.
Sometimes I try to travel time. I don't understand what you understood but I think it's not what I tryed to say. Of course the convenant is in effect but it was new at the time.

If people would have followed the saying that new things are bad, they would judge that the new convenant at Mount Sinai was certainly bad.

I can imagine some hardliners saying: Hey, that's not what our father Abraham received! All this stuff with the laws etc., it can't be from God! The covenant with Abraham was so simple, what is this complicated law about?
(07-25-2023, 10:18 PM)Blue Bird Wrote: Sometimes I try to travel time. I don't understand what you understood but I think it's not what I tryed to say. Of course the convenant is in effect but it was new at the time.

If people would have followed the saying that new things are bad, they would judge that the new convenant at Mount Sinai was certainly bad.

I can imagine some hardliners saying: Hey, that's not what our father Abraham received! All this stuff with the laws etc., it can't be from God! The covenant with Abraham was so simple, what is this complicated law about?

Okay! Now I understand what you are saying, thanks for the clarification Blue Bird.

So that saying, what is good is not new and what is new is not good, applies to the Hebrew bible after it was complete. I don't think the saying started 1000's of years ago, probably just recently.

It doesn't apply to what happened in the days of the Hebrew bible, it applies after it was codified by the Great Assembly.

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well.

What you wrote is certainly true, how they would perceive "new" things if that saying was of that time.