The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Isaiah 9:6 comment
(09-20-2023, 02:09 PM)Blue Bird Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 12:51 PM)rosends Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 11:26 AM)Blue Bird Wrote: May I ask you whether Anti-Christianity is (an essential) part of Judaism?
Judaism wants to be left alone, but when others misuse or misrepresent it, Judaism crafts responses. Left to itself, Judaism would never have anything to do or say about Christianity. Though Judaism takes a proactive stance against idolatry, it is a broad position and it isn't clear whether Christianity is counted as classical idolatry.

I try to understand the energy that fuels today's extensive action against Christianity and to clear my confusion. If I understand it correctly, it is an understandable reaction to the centuries-old injustices of so-called Christians (I doubt they were). Each persecution had its reaction and result in Jewish literature and tradition, and that adds up and adds up and adds up to this day.

My conclusion (which may be wrong) is that the Jewish response to Christian efforts today (mostly non-violent) does not correspond to the current situation, but is a response to many experiences you have had in your history. Now a point that may be controversial: Could it be that the former victims have now become perpetrators, energywise? For example, as I have experienced in my life, early trauma does not necessarily lead to an understanding and kind attitude towards certain people and one can be much more aggressive than they deserve.

The Jewish response to Christianity today isn't unified because neither Judaism nor Christianity is monolithic -- some Jews welcome certain elements of Christian connection (especially parts of Christian Zionism) while others are more than wary because some sects of Christianity still practice evangelism.
Exclamation 
(09-13-2023, 02:09 AM)JudaicChristian Wrote: Here is the correct translation.

Isaiah 9:6

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: And the government shall be upon his shoulders: And he shall be called Wonderful Counselor of the Mighty God and Everlasting Father; (שַׂר / minister-ing) in peace.

שַׂר ministeriah 49

https://context.reverso.net/translation/

https://www.bing.com/Translator

Greetings
Isaiah 49: 22 
(09-14-2023, 01:03 PM)rosends Wrote: ... Here is the correct translation

"The prophet said to the house of David, For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given, and he has taken the law upon himself to keep it. His name is called from before Him who is wonderful in counsel, the mighty God who liveth to eternity — the Messiah whose peace shall be great upon us in his days."
I imagine you're interpreting the meaning here as "Messiah" because of the following verse, where it speaks of 'David’s throne and kingdom being firmly established in justice and in equity now and evermore'. Is that right? But the word "Messiah" does not actually appear in Isa 9,5, right? So, while this may be your correct interpretation, it's not really a translation, right?
(10-15-2023, 04:00 PM)robrecht Wrote:
(09-14-2023, 01:03 PM)rosends Wrote: ... Here is the correct translation

"The prophet said to the house of David, For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given, and he has taken the law upon himself to keep it. His name is called from before Him who is wonderful in counsel, the mighty God who liveth to eternity — the Messiah whose peace shall be great upon us in his days."
I imagine you're interpreting the meaning here as "Messiah" because of the following verse, where it speaks of 'David’s throne and kingdom being firmly established in justice and in equity now and evermore'. Is that right? But the word "Messiah" does not actually appear in Isa 9,5, right? So, while this may be your correct interpretation, it's not really a translation, right?

It is as much a correct translation as any other that was claimed on this thread. It happens to be an exact translation of an explanation of the verse, which is what others have presented.
(10-16-2023, 12:56 PM)rosends Wrote: It is as much a correct translation as any other that was claimed on this thread. It happens to be an exact translation of an explanation of the verse, which is what others have presented.

I wasn't arguing for any other translation in this thread, just making sure I understood why you used the word "Messiah" in your translation. I think we agree it's an explanation/interpretation rather than a literal translation of the text.
(10-18-2023, 02:41 PM)robrecht Wrote:
(10-16-2023, 12:56 PM)rosends Wrote: It is as much a correct translation as any other that was claimed on this thread. It happens to be an exact translation of an explanation of the verse, which is what others have presented.

I wasn't arguing for any other translation in this thread, just making sure I understood why you used the word "Messiah" in your translation. I think we agree it's an explanation/interpretation rather than a literal translation of the text.

It is a literal translation of one interpretation of the text which is exactly the same as what was earlier presented as "correct."