The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we list the potential ways of transliterating Polish Ashkenazi בֵּית, בֵֿית, פֵֿא
(03-08-2019, 10:51 PM)Channalee Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 09:42 PM)squee100 Wrote: What about ei as in gesundheit (like you mentioned before)? Can you also please answer my question about bys/vys/fy vs. bies/vies/fie?

Sorry, squee100.  No can do.  I can't really work up the interest to get into this topic any further than I've done already. 

I wish you good luck in your project.
Can you please at least tell me which of bies/vies/fie, bys/vys/fy, and beis/veis/fei works best for the sound of "ei" in gesundheit (not "ey" in prey) in your opinion?
(03-08-2019, 09:42 PM)squee100 Wrote: What about ei as in gesundheit (like you mentioned before)? Can you also please answer my question about bys/vys/fy vs. bies/vies/fie?

In German (not Yiddish), ei represents /ɑɪ/ and ie represents /iː/. Yiddish is written in Hebrew characters. Therefore, English letters are merely approximants. The problem here is caused by blurring lines between these four languages (Hebrew, Yiddish, German, and English).

(03-09-2019, 03:42 AM)squee100 Wrote: Can you please at least tell me which of bies/vies/fie, bys/vys/fy, and beis/veis/fei works best for the sound of "ei" in gesundheit (not "ey" in prey) in your opinion?

The names of the letters, as far as I'm aware, possess the "ey" as in prey sound. That is, [beɪs] et cetera. Is this really such an important issue for you?
https://youtu.be/2eD6fKqW6MA?t=428
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qptRnFhaPE