The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Debate
(09-14-2023, 03:17 PM)Dana Wrote: A good interview!  I thought the discussions as well as moderation of the debate was fair to both sides.  Rabbi Singer had mentioned that he did not even know he was entering a debate and yet he remained thoughtful and considerate during his responses. 

It was interesting also listening to the two very different approaches while discussing verses.

If I were still a Christian this discussion would have given me pause, and yes, “food for thought” to seek further but it would not have changed my belief. 

I think to actually change a belief, a good deal of time and study are needed because for many people it acts as an anchor.  An internal support system.

Thank you for your "review" Dana!

Yes, I haven't seen many debates or discussions that were moderated that well.

And yes again, I also think it is very difficult to let go of one's deep rooted belief to switch to another. But in today's world with everything that is at your fingertips with instant access, we are seeing more and more of it in all phases of life.
(09-15-2023, 11:24 AM)RabbiO Wrote: Tonight begins the holiest, the most intense season in the Jewish calendar - Rosh HaShanah, the Days of Awe, Yom Kippur.

On one level this type of conversation you two are engaged in is very appropriate for this time of year, but on another level it is not.

I’m going to suggest that you folks put this conversation on hold for a bit. I’d like to aid you in navigating your way through this conversation because the direction and tone it is taking on do not auger well.

Right now I don’t exactly have a the time to do that and if I’m going to try I need to do it right. So how about you give each other a bit of space.

SMR didn't answer my question (a "yes" or "no" would have been enough), maybe the answer wouldn't be honest anyway. So I guess that yes, anti-Christianity has roots in Jewish literature and teachings.  By the way, I didn't start the discussion.

Have blessed holidays!
(09-15-2023, 02:25 PM)Blue Bird Wrote: SMR didn't answer my question (a "yes" or "no" would have been enough), maybe the answer wouldn't be honest anyway. So I guess that yes, anti-Christianity has roots in Jewish literature and teachings.  By the way, I didn't start the discussion.

Have blessed holidays!

You have to trust me on this. I am not pointing a finger at anyone.  I know you might be a bit skeptical. After all I am a Jew and a rabbi. However, for the role I propose to fill, I can and will remain impartial.

Thank you for your holiday wishes.
בקש שלום ורדפהו
Sounds good.