The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transliterating בֵּית as bies, בֵית as vies, and פֵא as fie
I would like to transliterate בֵּית as bies, בֵית as vies, and פֵא as fie. Going by this source: https://www.google.com/books/edition/HMYYRBOH_YDLYL_JYS_DMLM_or_Hebrew_and_En/KEYEAAAAQAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=hebrew+and+english+spelling+book&printsec=frontcover I believe that this would fit with the Polish-Jewish pronunciation of צֵירֵי as [aj], but I feel like I can't be sure until I have a direct source for transliterating them this way. What should I do? Are there any Polish-ancestry Jews on this forum who spell them that way?
Why are you being specific to Poland? Just curious. Shouldn't you want to transliterate in the way that people today speak?

From what I understand, you'd be doing it correctly.
(08-29-2020, 07:53 AM)Jason Wrote: Why are you being specific to Poland? Just curious. Shouldn't you want to transliterate in the way that people today speak?

I just like it that way, and I believe Polish-descent Jews still read that way liturgically.
What would you suggest as far as a source for transliterating them that way?
(08-29-2020, 05:17 PM)squee100 Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 07:53 AM)Jason Wrote: Why are you being specific to Poland? Just curious. Shouldn't you want to transliterate in the way that people today speak?

I just like it that way, and I believe Polish-descent Jews still read that way liturgically.

I have no idea. I don't generally read transliterations of Hebrew, nor do I know where to find them. Why not just learn to read the Hebrew letters that way without transliteration?
(08-31-2020, 08:03 PM)Jason Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 05:17 PM)squee100 Wrote:

I have no idea. I don't generally read transliterations of Hebrew, nor do I know where to find them. Why not just learn to read the Hebrew letters that way without transliteration?
What about this? http://www.hebrewworks.com/Transliteration.htm The transliteration is customizable. Would that count as a source?